JSON Input in Kibana Visualization

Hi
What is the significance of the JSON Input in all the Kibana Visualizations. It says we can add JSON which can be merged with the aggregation to elastic?

Can you please share some detailed documentation or examples of the the such cases, where JSON input is used? I want to make sure we are not missing something and also if this can be used to make our work easy.

1 Like

The various JSON input fields allow to provide the query DSL used in the filter of a visualisation/dashboard. See e.g. https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/current/field-filter.html#filter-edit. This is intended for advanced use cases where the existing UI makes it difficult to provide the exact DSL expression needed.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I read the link you shared, but how we should use the JSON Input field is not clear.

Is it possible for you to please share one working example of JSON Input in Kibana Visualization? You can take any of the existing example indices from Kibana for example.

Rereading my previous answer again, I didn't quite respond to your question.

Let's take the example from the terms aggregation documentation.

If you try to create a visualisation based on terms aggregation (e.g. a tag cloud), the standard UI will not allow you to specify parameters such as

{ "shard_size": "10" }

If you put the above snippet into the JSON input box, it will be added to the generated aggregation query.

The exact names of the additional parameters depends on the aggregation, and you'll have to check the documentation for each.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.