KIbana 6.7.0 broken upgrade

Running on Ubuntu, and post upgrade of the stack from 6.6.1 to 6.7.0, kibana has a problem!!

When trying to start Kibana, the outoput dumped to screen has the following entries

log [15:15:01.468] [info][status][plugin:reporting@6.7.0] Status changed from uninitialized to green - Ready
log [15:15:01.497] [warning][reporting] The Reporting plugin encountered issues launching Chromium in a self-test. You may have trouble generating reports: Error: Failed to launch chrome!
/var/lib/kibana/headless_shell-linux/headless_shell: error while loading shared libraries: libnss3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

TROUBLESHOOTING: https://github.com/GoogleChrome/puppeteer/blob/master/docs/troubleshooting.md

log [15:15:01.497] [warning][reporting] See Chromium's log output at "/var/lib/kibana/headless_shell-linux/chrome_debug.log"

When trying to browse to Kibana, i Get

Kibana did not load properly. Check the server output for more information.

The file chrome_debug.log DOES not exist in the directory listed above.

Just to keep you updated on this one......

The error relating to Kibana not loading properly was pinned down to a plugin i was using. GIven the plugin didn't have a 6.7 version (enhanced-table plugin), I had done the package.json edit.

This was only apparent as being the issue when i ran Developer Tools of Chrome, and saw something relating to this plugin mentioned in a 404 error.

The libnss3.so appeared to be resolved by doing a libnss3-tools install.

Kibana is now accessible...... but the chromium error still occurs.

Hey @paulxbuxton, starting in 6.7 we're launching a version of Chromium on startup to issue a warning whether there are dependencies missing that could potentially cause Reporting jobs to fail.

Are you still seeing the Error: Failed to launch chrome! /var/lib/kibana/headless_shell-linux/headless_shell: error while loading shared libraries: libnss3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory when starting up Kibana? Installing the libnss3 package should make this error stop occurring.

Hi Brandon,

As I noted in my previous reply, I did do that, and the error did go away regarding the library missing.

Still had a failed to launch chromium message though - it didn't stop kibana working - after this.

Still had a failed to launch chromium message though - it didn't stop kibana working - after this.

Would you mind sharing the entire failed to launch message? There might be another error being logged.

Hi Brandon,

As below

@paulsbuxton is the Kibana server as the root user?

Brandon,

Apologies for the delay.

I was running this via the sudo command.

@paulsbuxton I'd highly suggest not running Kibana as root or using sudo, using a dedicated user/group to do so in Linux is highly recommended.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.