Not working on Chromium after upgrade to 7.5.2 -> 7.8.0

Hi community.

I've just upgraded a small cluster from 7.5.2 to 7.8.0 .... so far so good, but, since I'm debianist at worstation-level, I use the packaged Chromium browser. Yesterday, as I did a rolling upgrade, I noticed no problem at all. Everything worked.
After the kibana upgrade, I just needed a browser refresh, re-login, and it all worked perfect (still chromium)

Today, but, same machines, no packages changes, kibana gets stuck at loading page after login. errors are reported at log:

{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2020-07-02T08:34:00Z","tags":["listening","info"],"pid":32132,"message":"Server running at"}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2020-07-02T08:34:00Z","tags":["error","reporting"],"pid":32132,"message":"The Reporting plugin encountered issues launching Chromium in a self-test. You may have trouble generating reports."}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2020-07-02T08:34:00Z","tags":["error","reporting"],"pid":32132,"message":"Error: Failed to launch chrome!\n/var/lib/kibana/headless_shell-linux/headless_shell: error while loading shared libraries: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory\n\n\nTROUBLESHOOTING:\n\n    at onClose (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/puppeteer-core/lib/Launcher.js:349:14)\n    at Interface.helper.addEventListener (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/puppeteer-core/lib/Launcher.js:338:50)\n    at Interface.emit (events.js:203:15)\n    at Interface.close (readline.js:397:8)\n    at Socket.onend (readline.js:173:10)\n    at Socket.emit (events.js:203:15)\n    at endReadableNT (_stream_readable.js:1145:12)\n    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:63:19)"}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2020-07-02T08:34:00Z","tags":["error","reporting"],"pid":32132,"message":"Error: Could not close browser client handle!\n    at browserFactory.test.then.browser (/usr/share/kibana/x-pack/legacy/plugins/reporting/server/lib/validate/validate_browser.js:26:15)\n    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:68:7)"}

Using Chrome on the same machine does work... so I guess it is something Chromium related, and yesterday it worked just because somehow the running environment kept up client-side from prior to the upgrade. Today, but, it's unable to set things up to working condition from a cold start.

Just in case someone experiences something similar and it may be a bug.


Are there any errors in the browser console when it's stuck?

Hi. Yes there's one error on the console.

But strangely, now it works. I've closed Chrome (which had a session at kibana in the monitoring page), fired Chromium, open the dev-console, enter kibana url, login, and tada! it worked... although from the very beginning an error showed in console:

Refused to execute inline script because it violates the following Content Security Policy directive: "script-src 'unsafe-eval' 'self'". Either the 'unsafe-inline' keyword, a hash ('sha256-P5polb1UreUSOe5V/Pv7tc+yeZuJXiOi/3fqhGsU7BE='), or a nonce ('nonce-...') is required to enable inline execution. 

also logs following after that:

^ A single error about an inline script not firing due to content security policy is expected!
kbn-ui-shared-deps.js:381 INFO: 2020-07-02T11:16:49Z
  Adding connection to

As soon as I restart the laptop I will repeat the steps to try to reproduce the problem, and also will check, if so happens, if using Chrome before Chromium somehow solves the issue.


This log message is expected. Maybe the browser cache got confused somehow due to the update - let me know if it happens again.

Hi. Good morning.

Today I've been unable to reproduce the issue... It all worked with chromium right from laptop cold start. I guess this could be marked as solved.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.