Kibana 7.0.1 does not work on IPv6

Hi,
I am using kibana-oss (version - 7.0.1) in kubernetes environment with IPv6 environment.
My kibana.yaml looks like this:

server.name: kibana
server.host: "[::0]"
server.port: 5601
elasticsearch.hosts: "http://elasticsearch:9200"

Kibana pod fails to come up & shows the below error:

`"{ Error: [server.host]: value is [[::0]] but it must be a valid hostname (see RFC 1123).\n    at ObjectType.validate (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/@kbn/config-schema/target/out/types/type.js:59:19)\n    at ConfigService.createConfig (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/config/config_service.js:97:52)\n    at MapSubscriber.getDistinctConfig.pipe.operators_1.map.config [as project] (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/config/config_service.js:51:81)\n    at MapSubscriber._next (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/internal/operators/map.js:46:35)\n    at MapSubscriber.Subscriber.next (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/internal/Subscriber.js:64:18)\n    at DistinctUntilChangedSubscriber._next (/usr/share/kibana
/node_modules/rxjs/internal/operators/distinctUntilChanged.js:65:30)\n    at DistinctUntilChangedSubscriber.Subscriber.next (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/internal/Subscriber.js:64:18)\n    at MapSubscriber._next (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/internal/operators/map.js:52:26)\n    at MapSubscriber.Subscriber.next (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/internal/Subscriber.js:64:18)\n    at MapSubscriber._next (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/internal/operators/map.js:52:26)\n  cause:\n   { Error: value is [[::0]] but it must be a valid hostname (see RFC 1123).\n       at StringType.onError (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/@kbn/config-schema/target/out/types/type.js:84:20)\n       at type.Type.schema.error (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/@kbn/config-schema/target/out/types/type.js:49:53)\n       at finish (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/joi/lib/types/any/index.js:529:50)\n       at type._validate (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/joi/lib/types/any/index.js:656:28)\n       at type._base (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/joi/lib/types/object/index.js:212:45)\n       at type._validate (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/joi/lib/types/any/index.js:614:37)\n       at type._validateWithOptions (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/joi/lib/types/any/index.js:674:29)\n       at module.exports.internals.Any.root.validate (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/joi/lib/index.js:146:23)\n       at ObjectType.validate (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/@kbn/config-schema/target/out/types/type.js:54:72)\n       at ConfigService.createConfig (/usr/share/kibana/src/core/server/config/config_service.js:97:52) cause: undefined, path: [ 'host' ] } }"`

I see same error for server.host configured as "[::]", "[::1]".

Can you please tell me the right configuration for this in an IPv6 environment?
Thanks,
Shivani

@jbudz/@tylersmalley - any ideas here ?

Thanks
Rashmi

@jbudz/@tylersmalley - Can you please tell me the right configuration for kibana server.host parameter in IPv6 environment?

This issue talks about the server not binding to the IPv6 localhost address , but that's a difference use case, you're setting the host to the IPv6 address.

It may be related to this addressing fix which looks like will be part of v7.0.0 of the stack.

I am using kibana-oss-7.0.1. Not sure if the mentioned fix is available in this rpm.
I was able to proceed by configuring "server.host" with the hostname instead of IP address.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.