Kibana - cant connect to self hosted elastic

Hi there, I recently launched my self hosted elastic service, but I can't get Kibana to connect to it.

In my browser, I can access the instance i.e. health, license using a username + password.

However, when launching Kibana, I use "Configure Manually" in the setup, and when i enter the IP address of the instance it gives me an error and in the server I can see "Host "myurl" is not a valid Elasticsearch cluster: "\r\n401 Authorization Required\r\n\r\n

401 Authorization Required

\r\n
nginx/1.25.4\r\n\r\n\r\n""

which to me seems like it needs authorisation. so in my kibana.yml i added the username + password that work in the browser as:

elasticsearch.username: "abc123"
elasticsearch.password: "123abc"
elasticsearch.hosts: ["myurl"]

and this gives me a infinite loop with the message:

[2024-03-11T20:03:57.300+00:00][ERROR][plugins.security.authentication] License is not available or does not support security features, re-authentication is not possible (available: true, enabled: false).

yet my license seems fine:

{
* license:{
  * uid: "abc-123-def-456-ghi-789",
  * type: "basic",
  * issue_date: "2024-02-26T14:10:37.215Z",
  * issue_date_in_millis: 1708956637215,
  * max_nodes: 1000,
  * max_resource_units: null,
  * issued_to: "docker-cluster",
  * issuer: "elasticsearch",
  * start_date_in_millis: -1}
}

That is just 1 of many messages when Kibana cannot connect with Elasticsearch... it probably really has nothing to do with the license.

There is probably other connection / authentication error messages

You did not mention Version...

or share your docker compose

what documentation you are following?

Did you follow

please check your kibana.yml in /etc/kibana and check the elasticsearch name is valid either by hostname or ip

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.