Kibana Client Request timed out with Logstash Netflow module

Hi,

I've been trying to connect Logstash Netflow module with Kibana. I followed the documentation in the link. https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/6.x/netflow-module.html

My whole scenario is that I have elasticsearch and Kibana on one instance, however Kibana is accessable behind a proxy. Every time I'm trying to execute the setup for the logstash netflow module, connection is continuously timing out as per below screenshot.

<hostname-redacted>% bin/logstash --path.settings=/etc/logstash --modules netflow --setup -M netflow.var.elasticsearch.hosts="localhost:9200" -M netflow.var.kibana.host="0.0.0.0:5000"

Sending Logstash's logs to /var/log/logstash which is now configured via log4j2.properties

[2018-08-14T14:11:36,749][WARN ][logstash.config.source.multilocal] Ignoring the 'pipelines.yml' file because modules or command line options are specified

[2018-08-14T14:11:37,386][INFO ][logstash.runner          ] Starting Logstash {"logstash.version"=>"6.3.2"}

[2018-08-14T14:11:37,510][INFO ][logstash.config.modulescommon] Setting up the netflow module

[2018-08-14T14:11:43,020][ERROR][logstash.modules.kibanaclient] Error when executing Kibana client request {:error=>#<Manticore::ConnectTimeout: connect timed out>}

[2018-08-14T14:11:48,225][ERROR][logstash.modules.kibanaclient] Error when executing Kibana client request {:error=>#<Manticore::ConnectTimeout: connect timed out>}

[2018-08-14T14:11:48,521][ERROR][logstash.config.sourceloader] Could not fetch all the sources {:exception=>LogStash::ConfigLoadingError, :message=>"Failed to import module configurations to Elasticsearch and/or Kibana. Module: netflow has Elasticsearch hosts: [\"localhost:9200\"] and Kibana hosts: [\"0.0.0.0:5000\"]", :backtrace=>["/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/config/modules_common.rb:110:in `block in pipeline_configs'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1734:in `each'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/config/modules_common.rb:56:in `pipeline_configs'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/config/source/modules.rb:16:in `pipeline_configs'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/config/source_loader.rb:62:in `block in fetch'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:2481:in `collect'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/config/source_loader.rb:61:in `fetch'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:138:in `converge_state_and_update'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:89:in `execute'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:363:in `block in execute'", "/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/stud-0.0.23/lib/stud/task.rb:24:in `block in initialize'"]}

[2018-08-14T14:11:48,528][ERROR][logstash.agent           ] An exception happened when converging configuration {:exception=>RuntimeError, :message=>"Could not fetch the configuration, message: Failed to import module configurations to Elasticsearch and/or Kibana. Module: netflow has Elasticsearch hosts: [\"localhost:9200\"] and Kibana hosts: [\"0.0.0.0:5000\"]", :backtrace=>["/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:145:in `converge_state_and_update'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:89:in `execute'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:363:in `block in execute'", "/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/stud-0.0.23/lib/stud/task.rb:24:in `block in initialize'"]}

[2018-08-14T14:11:48,735][INFO ][logstash.agent           ] Successfully started Logstash API endpoint {:port=>9600}

My kibana configuration is as follows:

# Kibana is served by a back end server. This setting specifies the port to use.
server.port: 5000

# Specifies the address to which the Kibana server will bind. IP addresses and host names are both valid values.
# The default is 'localhost', which usually means remote machines will not be able to connect.
# To allow connections from remote users, set this parameter to a non-loopback address.
server.host: "0.0.0.0"

# Enables you to specify a path to mount Kibana at if you are running behind a proxy.
# Use the `server.rewriteBasePath` setting to tell Kibana if it should remove the basePath
# from requests it receives, and to prevent a deprecation warning at startup.
# This setting cannot end in a slash.
server.basePath: "/kibana"

# Specifies whether Kibana should rewrite requests that are prefixed with
# `server.basePath` or require that they are rewritten by your reverse proxy.

# This setting was effectively always `false` before Kibana 6.3 and will
# default to `true` starting in Kibana 7.0.
server.rewriteBasePath: true

# The maximum payload size in bytes for incoming server requests.
#server.maxPayloadBytes: 1048576

# The Kibana server's name.  This is used for display purposes.
server.name: "<Redacted>"

# The URL of the Elasticsearch instance to use for all your queries.
elasticsearch.url: "http://localhost:9200"

Anyone already experienced this problem, please?

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Please do not post screenshots. Just post the text.

My apologizes, you're right! Replaced them with the actual code.

I would try explicity setting the IP address instead of using 0.0.0.0. I've known some software exclude some V4 addresses from 0.0.0.0. If not that, then change the port number at both ends.

Thanks @Badger for the reply.

My system administrators did some whitelisting and the connection timed our error seemed to be solved. In addition added a test.conf in /etc/logstash/conf.d/ with the below contents

input { stdin { } }

`output {`
    stdout { codec => rubydebug }
 }

Also configured logstash.yml to have the netflow settings

modules:
   - name: netflow
     var.elasticsearch.hosts: "http://localhost:9200"
     var.kibana.host: "0.0.0.0:5000"

And now the connectioned timed out isn't logging any more and from tcpdump seems that connection is being established. Having said that, still with the below error.

[2018-08-17T21:59:06,867][INFO ][logstash.config.modulescommon] Setting up the netflow module
[2018-08-17T21:59:07,735][ERROR][logstash.config.sourceloader] Could not fetch all the sources {:exception=>LogStash::ConfigLoadingError, :message=>"Failed to import module configurations to Elasticsearch and/or Kibana. Module: netflow has Elasticsearch hosts: [\"http://localhost:9200\"] and Kibana hosts: [\"0.0.0.0:5000\"]", :backtrace=>["/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/config/modules_common.rb:110:in `block in pipeline_configs'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1734:in `each'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/config/modules_common.rb:56:in `pipeline_configs'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/config/source/modules.rb:16:in `pipeline_configs'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/config/source_loader.rb:62:in `block in fetch'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:2481:in `collect'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/config/source_loader.rb:61:in `fetch'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:138:in `converge_state_and_update'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:89:in `execute'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:363:in `block in execute'", "/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/stud-0.0.23/lib/stud/task.rb:24:in `block in initialize'"]}
[2018-08-17T21:59:07,742][ERROR][logstash.agent           ] An exception happened when converging configuration {:exception=>RuntimeError, :message=>"Could not fetch the configuration, message: Failed to import module configurations to Elasticsearch and/or Kibana. Module: netflow has Elasticsearch hosts: [\"http://localhost:9200\"] and Kibana hosts: [\"0.0.0.0:5000\"]", :backtrace=>["/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:145:in `converge_state_and_update'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:89:in `execute'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:363:in `block in execute'", "/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/stud-0.0.23/lib/stud/task.rb:24:in `block in initialize'"]}

The command I'm using is the following

bin/logstash --path.settings=/etc/logstash --setup

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.