Kibana dashboards loading problem

If you are asking about a problem you are experiencing, please use the following template, as it will help us help you. If you have a different problem, please delete all of this text :slight_smile:

Kibana version:6.6.1

Elasticsearch version:
APM Server version:6.6.1

APM Agent language and version:6.6.1

Browser version:

Original install method (e.g. download page, yum, deb, from source, etc.) and version:download page

**Fresh install or upgraded from other version?**fresh install

Is there anything special in your setup? For example, are you using the Logstash or Kafka outputs? Are you using a load balancer in front of the APM Servers? Have you changed index pattern, generated custom templates, changed agent configuration etc.
no nothing
Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior. Please include screenshots (if relevant):
PS C:\Program Files\APM-Server> ./apm-server setup
Loaded index template
Loading dashboards (Kibana must be running and reachable)
Exiting: fail to create the Kibana loader: Error creating Kibana client: Error creating Kibana client: fail to get the K
ibana version: HTTP GET request to /api/status fails: fail to execute the HTTP GET request: Get http://localhost:5601/ap
i/status: dial tcp [::1]:5601: connectex: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.. R

Steps to reproduce:

Errors in browser console (if relevant):
PS C:\Program Files\APM-Server> ./apm-server setup
Loaded index template
Loading dashboards (Kibana must be running and reachable)
Exiting: fail to create the Kibana loader: Error creating Kibana client: Error creating Kibana client: fail to get the K
ibana version: HTTP GET request to /api/status fails: fail to execute the HTTP GET request: Get http://localhost:5601/ap
i/status: dial tcp [::1]:5601: connectex: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.. R

Provide logs and/or server output (if relevant):

Hello @harsha, this error:

Error creating Kibana client: Error creating Kibana client: fail to get the Kibana version: HTTP GET request to /api/status fails: fail to execute the HTTP GET request: Get http://localhost:5601/api/status: dial tcp [::1]:5601: connectex: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

indicates that kibana is not running or reachable on localhost from apm-server. To point apm-server to a remote kibana instance, set setup.kibana.host, eg to "kibana.hostname:5601". If both services should be running on the same host, ensure that kibana is started and listening.

In 6.6.1, you are able to load dashboards from within kibana using the Load Kibana Objects button on the APM setup page, reachable from the Setup Instructions button in the upper right of the APM UI.

1 Like

Hi gil,

thanks for the reply can u be more precise, when u said To point apm-server to a remote kibana instance, set setup.kibana.host , eg to `"kibana.hostname:5601" should i chanege the setup.hibana.host in apm yml right?

Yes, that's one way, see here is a full example.

Since you're likely only going to do this once, you should consider running this command once instead:

apm-server setup -E setup.kibana.host=kibana.hostname:5601 -e

And leaving dashboard loading off by default, so there is no dependency between apm-server and kibana for dashboard loading under normal operation.

tq gil:grinning:

Gil a doubt regarding the apm-agent-attach.jar can you jus give a brief explanation regarding this, actually the doubt is that i am not able to connect it with the jVM wat could possibly be the error im reffering to Automatic setup with apm-agent-attach.jar .
Can you please help me with this.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.