Kibana Discover page doesn't show the data after updating the index pattern

Issue:

• Updating the index pattern to include the new fields from other indices doesn't now show their data on Kibana discover page.

Steps to replicate:

• index error-codes-test vs Index error-codes-final have slightly different fields.
  • I have an index pattern called error-codes* to show the output from both indexes, but it doesn't.
  • Then I decide to view the data from both indices using the error-codes* index pattern in Kibana discover page, but the data doesn't show up from error-codes-test.

Current solution:

• I have to create another index pattern, for example,error-* to be able to see all the data. I highly believe this behavior is not desired, and updating the old index pattern error-codes* should have fixed the problem.

Usually field are taken from the indices at index pattern creation and when the index pattern cache is invalided (which is pretty rare) https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/6498

The solution for you, other than creating a new index pattern is to refresh the index pattern that you already have, from the Management - Index Patterns page.

@Marius_Dragomir Thanks for your suggestion, but I forgot to mention that I have tried that solution as well, so as a result I will get the fields of both indices into one index pattern, but in the Kibana discover page the data doesn't show up from both indices only one of them.

I believe the problem might be the initial timestamp that is chosen for the index pattern. One of the indices has the field, event_time_utc as the timestamp and another has event_date as the timestamp, so I think choosing one over another results in the data to disappear.

It will indeed. You should have both of them using the same field as the timestamp.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.