Kibana: docker environment variable translation for xpack.task_manager.index

Hi,

I'm just learning to implement Elastic Stack on Docker swarm configuration.

I have an issue to rename index default name ".kibana_task_manager" using "xpack.task_manager.index". According to this documentation all I need to do is convert it to "XPACK_TASK_MANAGER_INDEX" or possibly to "XPACK_TASKMANAGER_INDEX"? But, neither of them is working (ignored by Docker and Kibana).

My further exploration found this executable, inside the executable "xpack.task_manager.index" is not found in kibana_vars. Does it mean that "xpack.task_manager.index" is not configurable with Docker environment variable translation?

Any suggesstion or solution for this issue?

PS why I'm doing this? I want to rename ".kibana_task_manager" to ".kibana_task_manager.containershostname" just like I did successfully with ".kibana" to ".kibana.containershostname" renamed with "KIBANA_INDEX=.kibana.{{.Node.Hostname}}"

PSS I'm using kibana 7.10

Regards,
Ade

Hi,
You are right, these variables are missing from the docker environment,
The alerting team just created a new issue here https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/87832

If I'm not wrong, as a workaround, you can probably completely replace the kibana.yml used in the docker with your own yml file adding a docker volume with that configuration, something like the following should work

version: "3"
services:
  elasticsearch:
    image: docker.elastic.co/elasticsearch/elasticsearch:6.8.7
    container_name: elasticsearch_6_8_7
    ports:
      - 9268:9200
  kibana:
    image: docker.elastic.co/kibana/kibana:6.8.7
    container_name: kibana_6_8_7
    ports:
      - 5668:5601
     volumes:
       - ./kibana.yml:/usr/share/kibana/config/kibana.yml
1 Like

Hi Marco,

Thank you for acknowledgement.

I already found a solution for my issue. In order to make it work as I expect, I added an environment variable in docker-compose.yml:

environment:
- HOSTNAME={{.Node.Hostname}}
volumes:
- type: bind
source: /opt/docker-compose/kibana/kibana.yml
target: /usr/share/kibana/config/kibana.yml
read_only: true

and then in kibana.yml:

xpack.task_manager.index: .kibana_task_manager.${HOSTNAME}

as the result the index renamed successfully to:

.kibana_task_manager.containershostname

Meanwhile we can wait for alerting team to solve the issue.

Regards,
Ade