Kibana: docker environment variable translation for xpack.task_manager.index

Hi,

I'm just learning to implement Elastic Stack on Docker swarm configuration.

I have an issue to rename index default name ".kibana_task_manager" using "xpack.task_manager.index". According to this documentation all I need to do is convert it to "XPACK_TASK_MANAGER_INDEX" or possibly to "XPACK_TASKMANAGER_INDEX"? But, neither of them is working (ignored by Docker and Kibana).

My further exploration found this executable, inside the executable "xpack.task_manager.index" is not found in kibana_vars. Does it mean that "xpack.task_manager.index" is not configurable with Docker environment variable translation?

Any suggesstion or solution for this issue?

PS why I'm doing this? I want to rename ".kibana_task_manager" to ".kibana_task_manager.containershostname" just like I did successfully with ".kibana" to ".kibana.containershostname" renamed with "KIBANA_INDEX=.kibana.{{.Node.Hostname}}"

PSS I'm using kibana 7.10

Regards,
Ade

Hi,
You are right, these variables are missing from the docker environment,
The alerting team just created a new issue here https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/87832

If I'm not wrong, as a workaround, you can probably completely replace the kibana.yml used in the docker with your own yml file adding a docker volume with that configuration, something like the following should work

version: "3"
services:
  elasticsearch:
    image: docker.elastic.co/elasticsearch/elasticsearch:6.8.7
    container_name: elasticsearch_6_8_7
    ports:
      - 9268:9200
  kibana:
    image: docker.elastic.co/kibana/kibana:6.8.7
    container_name: kibana_6_8_7
    ports:
      - 5668:5601
     volumes:
       - ./kibana.yml:/usr/share/kibana/config/kibana.yml
1 Like

Hi Marco,

Thank you for acknowledgement.

I already found a solution for my issue. In order to make it work as I expect, I added an environment variable in docker-compose.yml:

environment:
- HOSTNAME={{.Node.Hostname}}
volumes:
- type: bind
source: /opt/docker-compose/kibana/kibana.yml
target: /usr/share/kibana/config/kibana.yml
read_only: true

and then in kibana.yml:

xpack.task_manager.index: .kibana_task_manager.${HOSTNAME}

as the result the index renamed successfully to:

.kibana_task_manager.containershostname

Meanwhile we can wait for alerting team to solve the issue.

Regards,
Ade

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.