Kibana does not recognize the @timestamp field as a time filter

Kibana (7.17.8) does not seem to recognize the @timestamp field in my index as a time field. The symptoms are as follows.

1. In Discover, the "Show dates" box on the top right is missing
  2. The time series chart above the Document list is missing
  3. The Time column in the Document list is missing

For comparison, this is what the metricbeat-* index looks like in Discover

When I look at the index pattern for my index, I noticed that the @timestamp field does not have the small clock icon next to it, unlike the @timestamp field for the metricbeat index pattern.

svmon_index-index_pattern
metricbeat-index_pattern

Can someone tell me how I can change my index or index template so that Kibana will recognize the @timestamp field as a time field.

I have read some suggestion about dropping and recreating the index and index template. That is not desirable as the index is being used to ingest data coming in in real time, and the index template was created by a third party that I do not control.

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi @Alvik173

welcome to the Kibana community.
You've probably defined a data view without a default time field.
You can edit the data view in the Stack Management > DataViews panel and pick the time field in here:

1 Like

Hi Marco
Thank you for the quick response. I am using Kibana 7.17.8, and I could not find DataViews under Stack Management there. Is DataViews a feature available only in Kibana 8? Is there an equivalent in Kibana 7.17.8?

DataViews is just a 8.x renaming of IndexPatterns in 7.x .

Thanks for the clarification of DataViews. I was able to the Timestamp field dropdown when creating a new index pattern. But on an existing index pattern, there does not seem to be a way to change the timestamp field if it was created with the incorrect timestamp field.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.