Kibana import/export dashboard api

Is there any documentation on how to use the new import/export dashboard api for kibana?

Hi @tsullivan93,

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Do you have a link available that talks about this new api?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris!

I've seen it mentioned a couple places. This PR

and in the metricbeat dashboard documentation for how it imports its dashboards it mentions

Starting with Beats 6.0.0, the dashboards are loaded via the Kibana API

Hi @tsullivan93,

Unfortunately, I don't think there any official docs for that feature yet. The PR description talks about both endpoints with some degree of specificity and there might be comments in the PR that detail them more.

If you have any specific questions about it, I can try and help with that too.

Thanks,
Chris

Essentially what I would like to be able to do is build a dashboard in kibana, export the dashboard I built and get the json object for it so I can use that as a template for future metricbeat installs via the import api that metricbeat uses

Hitting <kibana>/api/kibana/dashboards/export?dashboard=<dashboard_id> returns the same structure as the dashboards from metricbeat. I think should work for you.

If you want to do multiple, <kibana>/api/kibana/dashboards/export?dashboard=<dashboard_id>&dashboard=<dashboard_id>

Lemme know if that helps!

1 Like

That was exactly what I needed! Thanks Chris!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.