Kibana REST API documentation lacking

Hello,

I'm trying to use the REST API to import dashboards. It seems this shouldn't be that difficult but the due to the poor state of the documentation this is proving a lot harder than it should be.

The query parameter section provides no information on how a force or exclude array should look.

I only want to import a dashboard so I want to exclude everything else. In other elastic queries it would look something like this array=option1,option2 but this does not work. Neither does something like array=[ "option1", "option2"].

I've also looked at the normal export/import API's as I only need the dashboard anyway but if you copy the curl command for exporting a dashboard from Export objects API | Kibana Guide [7.13] | Elastic curl will always return a 400 error (obviously I changed the url and added user/pass).

At least this is the case on Elastic Cloud.

To be fair, that documentation page also has the experimental tag on it at the top, which says;

This functionality is experimental and may be changed or removed completely in a future release. Elastic will take a best effort approach to fix any issues, but experimental features are not subject to the support SLA of official GA features

Hopefully one of the Kibana team can chime in on a solution though.

That is fair. Its also why I tried to use the general import/export function but alas that doesn't appear to work at all. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but to only see if it works, the examples in the docs should be pretty much copy & paste.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.