"Kibana server is not ready yet" (running with docker-compose)

Hi! I'm trying to follow the tutorial here:

After running "docker-compose up", I can access:

localhost:9200/_cat/nodes?v&pretty

but when I go to http://localhost:5601/
I get:

Kibana server is not ready yet

Running on OSX host. Docker memory has been adjusted to 8GB.
Kibana log is below.

Thank you for any help!

{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-07-26T12:16:49+00:00","tags":["info","plugins-service"],"pid":953,"message":"Plugin \"timelines\" is disabled."}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-07-26T12:16:49+00:00","tags":["warning","config","deprecation"],"pid":953,"message":"Support for setting server.host to \"0\" in kibana.yml is deprecated and will be removed in Kibana version 8.0.0. Instead use \"0.0.0.0\" to bind to all interfaces."}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-07-26T12:16:49+00:00","tags":["warning","config","deprecation"],"pid":953,"message":"plugins.scanDirs is deprecated and is no longer used"}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-07-26T12:16:49+00:00","tags":["warning","config","deprecation"],"pid":953,"message":"Config key [monitoring.cluster_alerts.email_notifications.email_address] will be required for email notifications to work in 8.0.\""}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-07-26T12:16:50+00:00","tags":["info","plugins-system"],"pid":953,"message":"Setting up [106] plugins: [taskManager,licensing,globalSearch,globalSearchProviders,banners,code,usageCollection,xpackLegacy,telemetryCollectionManager,telemetry,telemetryCollectionXpack,kibanaUsageCollection,securityOss,share,newsfeed,mapsEms,mapsLegacy,kibanaLegacy,translations,licenseApiGuard,legacyExport,embeddable,uiActionsEnhanced,expressions,charts,esUiShared,bfetch,data,home,console,consoleExtensions,apmOss,searchprofiler,painlessLab,grokdebugger,management,advancedSettings,savedObjects,visualizations,visTypeTagcloud,visTypeTable,visTypeTimelion,features,licenseManagement,watcher,visTypeVislib,visTypeVega,visTypeMetric,visTypeMarkdown,visTypeXy,tileMap,regionMap,presentationUtil,canvas,graph,timelion,dashboard,dashboardEnhanced,visualize,visTypeTimeseries,inputControlVis,indexPatternManagement,discover,discoverEnhanced,savedObjectsManagement,spaces,security,savedObjectsTagging,lens,reporting,lists,encryptedSavedObjects,dataEnhanced,dashboardMode,cloud,upgradeAssistant,snapshotRestore,fleet,indexManagement,rollup,remoteClusters,crossClusterReplication,indexLifecycleManagement,enterpriseSearch,beatsManagement,transform,ingestPipelines,fileUpload,maps,fileDataVisualizer,eventLog,actions,alerting,triggersActionsUi,stackAlerts,ruleRegistry,observability,osquery,ml,securitySolution,cases,infra,monitoring,logstash,apm,uptime]"}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-07-26T12:16:50+00:00","tags":["info","plugins","taskManager"],"pid":953,"message":"TaskManager is identified by the Kibana UUID: 471b6309-dd9e-4b79-a9a6-9a09e86eb665"}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-07-26T12:16:51+00:00","tags":["warning","plugins","security","config"],"pid":953,"message":"Generating a random key for xpack.security.encryptionKey. To prevent sessions from being invalidated on restart, please set xpack.security.encryptionKey in the kibana.yml or use the bin/kibana-encryption-keys command."}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-07-26T12:16:51+00:00","tags":["warning","plugins","security","config"],"pid":953,"message":"Session cookies will be transmitted over insecure connections. This is not recommended."}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-07-26T12:16:51+00:00","tags":["warning","plugins","reporting","config"],"pid":953,"message":"Generating a random key for xpack.reporting.encryptionKey. To prevent sessions from being invalidated on restart, please set xpack.reporting.encryptionKey in the kibana.yml or use the bin/kibana-encryption-keys command."}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-07-26T12:16:51+00:00","tags":["warning","plugins","reporting","config"],"pid":953,"message":"Chromium sandbox provides an additional layer of protection, but is not supported for Linux CentOS 8.4.2105\n OS. Automatically setting 'xpack.reporting.capture.browser.chromium.disableSandbox: true'."}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-07-26T12:16:51+00:00","tags":["warning","plugins","encryptedSavedObjects"],"pid":953,"message":"Saved objects encryption key is not set. This will severely limit Kibana functionality. Please set xpack.encryptedSavedObjects.encryptionKey in the kibana.yml or use the bin/kibana-encryption-keys command."}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-07-26T12:16:51+00:00","tags":["warning","plugins","actions","actions"],"pid":953,"message":"APIs are disabled because the Encrypted Saved Objects plugin is missing encryption key. Please set xpack.encryptedSavedObjects.encryptionKey in the kibana.yml or use the bin/kibana-encryption-keys command."}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-07-26T12:16:51+00:00","tags":["warning","plugins","alerting","plugins","alerting"],"pid":953,"message":"APIs are disabled because the Encrypted Saved Objects plugin is missing encryption key. Please set xpack.encryptedSavedObjects.encryptionKey in the kibana.yml or use the bin/kibana-encryption-keys command."}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-07-26T12:16:53+00:00","tags":["info","plugins","monitoring","monitoring"],"pid":953,"message":"config sourced from: production cluster"}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-07-26T12:16:54+00:00","tags":["info","savedobjects-service"],"pid":953,"message":"Waiting until all Elasticsearch nodes are compatible with Kibana before starting saved objects migrations..."}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-07-26T12:16:54+00:00","tags":["error","savedobjects-service"],"pid":953,"message":"Unable to retrieve version information from Elasticsearch nodes."}

Hey @kkireyev ,

I ran the commands locally and actually got the same result you did :grimacing:! I've reached out to the team that handles our docker deployments to see what's wrong/missing here. Hopefully should have some follow up soon.

Regards,
Aaron

Hi @kkireyev ,

It appears from your log that Kibana can't talk to Elasticsearch, let's check a few things: ensure Kibana docker is on the same network as Elasticsearch and that you have set the elasticsearch host and elasticearch url as parameters to Kibana.

Try to take a look at this guide for bringing up the stack on docker:

If this does not help, please share your docker compose details.

Thanks.

Hi @LizaD ! Thanks for your response. My docker-compose.yml is copied exactly from the tutorial you referenced.

Thank you @kkireyev I understand, you are right, when I also try the instructions in Running the Elastic Stack on Docker it took almost 30 minutes for the Kibana server to start. Let me see if @jbudz can help us see why this is happening.

@kkireyev I am running this on Mac OS X, I noticed you are too. You need to do this:
Make sure Docker Engine is allotted at least 4GiB of memory. In Docker Desktop, you configure resource usage on the Advanced tab in Preference (macOS) or Settings (Windows).

Once I did that, it resolved the issue for me and elasticsearch and kibana came up.

Please try and let us know.

Thanks

Thanks @LizaD! I had it set at 8GB but perhaps I had not done "Apply and Restart" in Docker. It works now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.