Kibana server is not ready yet - throw er; // Unhandled 'error' event

Kibana wont start. Unable to determine the error.

-----error logs.
root@dev-platops-eng02:/usr/share/kibana/node_modules# /usr/share/kibana/bin/kibana --verbose
events.js:174
throw er; // Unhandled 'error' event
^

Error: spawn /var/lib/kibana/headless_shell-linux/headless_shell EACCES
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:240:19)
at onErrorNT (internal/child_process.js:415:16)
at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:63:19)
Emitted 'error' event at:
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:246:12)
at onErrorNT (internal/child_process.js:415:16)
at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:63:19)

Hey @Milton_Sam_Moses! In more recent versions of Kibana, we do a quick check on start-up to see if we can launch an installed headless_chrome binary. This is used inside our reporting functionality inside of the reporting plugin. Are you running with a trial or other license?

If so, could you verify the ownership of the headless_shell file that Kibana can't access:

ls -l /var/lib/kibana/headless_shell-linux/headless_shell

The EACCES error generally has to do with the node process not being able to execute that file.

Hey, @joelgriffith. Thanks for your quick reply. I am running with trial.

root@dev-platops-eng02:~# ls -l /var/lib/kibana/headless_shell-linux/headless_shell

-rwxr-xr-x 1 kibana kibana 127410016 Apr 8 13:59 /var/lib/kibana/headless_shell-linux/headless_shell

Looks like permissions are set properly. Out of curiosity are you running Kibana as a different user? I see you're logged in as root, what's the command you're using to start Kibana?

sudo systemctl start kibana; tail -f /var/log/syslog

Hope this is the right way :see_no_evil:

+1 here for the exact same symptoms. We installed a fresh 6.6.2 Kibana, pretty much empty. Then we upgraded to 7.0.0. We see the exact same symptoms. kibana.log file is clean and happy; kibana.stderr shows only that error quoted here. /var/lib/kibana/headless_shell-linux/headless_shell permissions same as here (only newer date and binary size). We are stuck.

I uninstalled and wiped the version, then I installed 7.0.0 version fresh. Still, the same error and symptoms. Kibana does not run; same error.

Hello guys,

Don't know if this issue has been addressed already , but here's what worked for me.
I had the same issue on my system (RHEL 7.4), and the origin was that the "/var" filesystem was flagged as "noexec" in the "/etc/fstab" system file:
/dev/mapper/rootvg-var_lv /var ext4 defaults,nodev,noexec 1 2

So if you're in the same case, two options : update the /etc/fstab file and remove the option (implies a hard reboot of the server), or move the Kibana "data" folder (usually /var/lib/kibana if installed through yum) elsewhere, and then add the following line to the /etc/kibana/kibana.yml file :
path.data: /<path_to_the_new_kibana_data_folder>

Hope this helps,
Regards.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.