Kibana server not ready after update (cause of mapper_parsing_exception)

Hi all,

I'm quite new to ELK, did my first Update and instant run into the first issue I cannot address.

What I did:

• Updated all Elasticsearch Nodes from 6.5 to 6.8
  • Cluster is green
  • Updated Kibana from 6.5 to 6.8

Current State:

• Kibana HTTP Error: Kibana server is not ready yet
  • Kibana Startup Logs:

Aug 14 07:35:52 kibana-server kibana[32209]: {"type":"log","@timestamp":"2019-08-14T07:35:52Z","tags":["info","migrations"],"pid":32209,"message":"Creating index .kibana_3."}

Aug 14 07:35:52 kibana-server kibana[32209]: {"type":"log","@timestamp":"2019-08-14T07:35:52Z","tags":["debug","upgrade_assistant","reindex_worker"],"pid":32209,"message":"Could not fetch riendex operations from Elasticsearch"}

Aug 14 07:35:52 kibana-server kibana[32209]: {"type":"log","@timestamp":"2019-08-14T07:35:52Z","tags":["debug","upgrade_assistant","reindex_worker"],"pid":32209,"message":"Stopping worker..."}
Aug 14 07:35:52 kibana-server kibana[32209]: FATAL [mapper_parsing_exception] Mapping definition for [url] has unsupported parameters: [properties : {accessCount={type=long}, accessDate={type=date}, url={type=text, fields={keyword={ignore_above=2048, type=keyword}}}, createDate={type=date}}]"}},"status":400}"}

At this Point I'm stuck:
It seems there is a problem with the .kibana_N Index

Therefore I conclude that there must be an issue with the .kibana template which applies to all indicies containing the name kibana.

The big question is:
What is wrong with the [url] mapping definition and how to repair it?

Thanks to everyone who takes the time for my issue

It's possible there's a conflict between the old kibana template and the new upgrade system. In 6.6+ there's an upgrade step that will push mappings (as opposed to using a template). You should be able to safely delete any kibana templates, and then let's try a server restart

Can you share which .kibana indices exist? It's probably worth checking if there's any partial upgrades in place too

Hi jbudz and thanks for your and sorry for my late reply. I deleted all templates and started the Service but the Error remains.

About the indices:
There is .kibana_1 and .kibana_2. The Alias is mapped to .kibana_2. It stills loggs Mapping definition for [url] has unsupported parameters for .kibana_3 when starting the Kibana Service.

kibana_indices
/usr/share/kibana/bin/kibana --version tells me 6.8.2. This is not conform with the upgraded version from my indices Screenshot above. Is this normal?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.