Kibana service appears wrongly not running

Hi guys,

i'm having an issue with installation of kibana 7.7.0 (i'm directly installing the rpm without using docker). Installation terminated successfully and i have kibana process running, but when i run these two commands, their output is different:

[root@pd2d2rielkd01 run]# service kibana status
kibana is not running

[root@pd2d2rielkd01 run]# systemctl status kibana.service
● kibana.service - Kibana
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/kibana.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (running) since Tue 2020-05-26 06:26:27 EDT; 1min 16s ago
Main PID: 25980 (node)
CGroup: /system.slice/kibana.service
└─25980 /usr/share/kibana/bin/../node/bin/node /usr/share/kibana/bin/../src/cli -c /etc/kibana/kibana.yml

I don't understand why status command is telling me why kibana is not running, i haven't found on kibana.stdout and kibana.stderr any errors and i have not changed any parameters in kibana.yml

Could you help me in solving this issue?
Thanks a lot

@snolfi which version of OS are you running? service is just a wrapper that can be pointing to other system management daemon like init.d. @jbudz do you have any other insight on this?

Hello @tiagocosta

i'm running on rhel 7.6, i went deeper on the issue and what i discovered is that when i start kibana using "systemctl start kibana.service" in /var/run is not generated kibana.pid file; instead if i start kibana using "service kibana start" the same file is generated. The missing generation of kibana.pid file is the cause of the issue because the script /etc/init.d/kibana called by the service command requires this file; in short terms these two commands are not compatible. For me this issue is quite important because i am not the only one who works on the system and nobody can ensure me that kibana will be always started just using the service command. To prevent troubles i removed the kibana script from /etc/init.d so that, if service command will be used, it will be redirected to systemctl and the behavior of the application will be coherent.

I suggest to analyze what i have yet explained because it smells like a bug

Hi @snolfi I have been discussing this offline with @jbudz which already has a solution for this. We will push the fix forward. Thanks for the heads up!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.