Kibana service will not start Exit 126

Upon trying to start kibana 7.16.3 after a fresh successful install on rhel 8, I am getting the following errors. Any ideas on what the cause could be. Thank you so much for any help.

> [root@attack-range-elastic-server vagrant]# sudo -u kibana /usr/share/kibana/bin/kibana --logging.dest=/var/log/kibana/kibana.log --pid.file=/run/kibana/kibana.pid &
> [1] 8636
> [root@attack-range-elastic-server vagrant]# /usr/share/kibana/bin/kibana: line 29: /usr/share/kibana/bin/../node/bin/node: Operation not permitted
> /usr/share/kibana/bin/kibana: line 29: /usr/share/kibana/bin/../node/bin/node: Success
> 
> [1]+  Exit 126                sudo -u kibana /usr/share/kibana/bin/kibana --logging.dest=/var/log/kibana/kibana.log --pid.file=/run/kibana/kibana.pid
> [root@attack-range-elastic-server vagrant]# systemctl start kibana
> [root@attack-range-elastic-server vagrant]# systemctl status kibana
> ● kibana.service - Kibana
>    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/kibana.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
>    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2022-01-24 16:48:33 EST; 2s ago
>      Docs: https://www.elastic.co
>   Process: 8656 ExecStart=/usr/share/kibana/bin/kibana --logging.dest=/var/log/kibana/kibana.log --pid.file=/run/kibana/kibana.pid (code=exited, status=126)
>  Main PID: 8656 (code=exited, status=126)
> 
> Jan 24 16:48:30 attack-range-elastic-server systemd[1]: kibana.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=126/n/a
> Jan 24 16:48:30 attack-range-elastic-server systemd[1]: kibana.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
> Jan 24 16:48:33 attack-range-elastic-server systemd[1]: kibana.service: Service RestartSec=3s expired, scheduling restart.
> Jan 24 16:48:33 attack-range-elastic-server systemd[1]: kibana.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 3.
> Jan 24 16:48:33 attack-range-elastic-server systemd[1]: Stopped Kibana.
> Jan 24 16:48:33 attack-range-elastic-server systemd[1]: kibana.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
> Jan 24 16:48:33 attack-range-elastic-server systemd[1]: kibana.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
> Jan 24 16:48:33 attack-range-elastic-server systemd[1]: Failed to start Kibana.
> [root@attack-range-elastic-server vagrant]#

Can you check /var/log/kibana/kibana.log and post that?

That file is present but empty

Exit code 126 means there is a permission problem, or the command is not an executable file. This message seems to agree: line 29: /usr/share/kibana/bin/../node/bin/node: Operation not permitted

Does the kibana user have permission to read all the files that have been installed with Kibana, and to execute all of the binaries?

Thanks @tsullivan . Yes, I've verified that the kibana user has rights. In my troubleshooting, I even did a chmod 777 against the whole /usr/share/kibana directory just as a test and still get the same error.

Actually I think that might be my issue after all. Although, in looking at the file permissions I am not sure why the "vagrant" user can execute node but my "kibana" user cannot. The file permissions should have full rights for everyone?

[vagrant@attack-range-elastic-server ~]$ sudo -u kibana /usr/share/kibana/bin/../node/bin/node
sudo: unable to execute /usr/share/kibana/bin/../node/bin/node: Operation not permitted
[vagrant@attack-range-elastic-server ~]$ /usr/share/kibana/bin/../node/bin/node
Welcome to Node.js v16.13.0.
Type ".help" for more information.
>
(To exit, press Ctrl+C again or Ctrl+D or type .exit)
>
[vagrant@attack-range-elastic-server ~]$ ls -la /usr/share/kibana/bin/../node/bin/node
-rwxrwxrwx. 1 kibana kibana 79303064 Jan  6 18:42 /usr/share/kibana/bin/../node/bin/node

Looks like this actually might be related to RHEL fapolicy in case anyone else runs into this behavior.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.