Kibana Setting "logging.dest" is deprecated can't be fixed

Hi all,

We are facing an issue with Kibana 7.16.0 on Ubuntu 18.04. In Kibana log I can see a warning message ["warning","config","deprecation"],"pid":24471,"message":""logging.dest" has been deprecated and will be removed in 8.0. To set the destination moving forward, you can use the "console" appender in your logging configuration or define a custom one."}.

In the upgrade assistant for ELK 8.0 we are facing the same message. To correct it seems we have to add this parameters :

logging:
  appenders:
    file:
      type: file
      fileName: /var/log/kibana.log
      layout:
        type: pattern
  loggers:
    - name: plugins.myPlugin
      appenders: [file]

I'm starting with ELK and I don't know how to add this parameters, I try with a cURL but this does not solve the problem. In kibana.yml I removed logging.dest like this is mentionned in the picture.

logging.dest

Could someone can help me to resolve this issue ?

Thanks for your answer.

Hi, got the same problem. All changes in kibana.yml are ignored. I noticed that "logging.dest" is hardcoded in unit file "kibana.service".
So what to do about that?
Thanks

Hi all,

Upgrading to 7.16.2 did not solve the problem.

I added the parameters to kibana.yml but the critical warning is still present in Kibana UI

Yes and I don't know if we have to pass this parameters in Kibana Console or with a cURL command.

You have to add it to the /etc/kibana/kibana.yml file.

I noticed the default appender is required:

Jan 13 10:30:14 stvjustxelk001 kibana[7812]: FATAL Error: [config validation of [logging].root]: "default" appender required for migration period till the
next major release

My config:

# Enables you to specify a file where Kibana stores log output.
#logging.dest: stdout
#DEPRECATED
#logging.dest: /var/data/log/kibana/kibana.log

# Set the value of this setting to true to suppress all logging output.
#logging.silent: false

# Set the value of this setting to true to suppress all logging output other than error messages.
#logging.quiet: false

# Set the value of this setting to true to log all events, including system usage information
# and all requests.
#logging.verbose: false
#logging.verbose: true

logging:
  appenders:
    file:
      type: file
      fileName: /var/data/log/kibana/kibana.log
      layout:
        type: pattern
  root:
    appenders: [default,file]

Documentation mentions the properties:

If you are using the debian/rpm packages you can ignore this deprecation warning. Starting in 7.17 this deprecation warning will no longer show on these platforms [7.17] [deb/rpm] Skip deprecation warning for logging.dest by jbudz · Pull Request #120273 · elastic/kibana · GitHub When upgrading to 8.0 Kibana the new package will correctly configure the new logging format, so no action is required.

Hi,

I tried this and that's not working. I also upgrade to 7.16.3 and problem is still here.

Hi,

Okay I'm waiting for the 7.17 to be release to see if this solve the issu.