Kibana shuts itseself

Hi,

Why does Kibana shuts itself down after a while even when I start it as a service?

I used ./bin/kibana & to run it all times in the background unless shut down by the PID #.

I am using linux machine

How can I make it so that it runs in background at all times?

Hi Bishaka,

What version of Kibana are you running?

Are there any log messages either in /var/log/kibana or journalctl -u kibana.service ?

Or if you start it with ./bin/kibana the last output should be in your console. Can you paste that here?

Thanks,
Lee

I am running Kibana Version 4.4.1

When I start kibana, I get the following output:

log [12:50:32.119] [info][status][plugin:kibana] Status changed from uninitialized to green - Ready
log [12:50:32.144] [info][status][plugin:elasticsearch] Status changed from uninitialized to yellow - Waiting for Elasticsearch
log [12:50:32.154] [info][status][plugin:kbn_vislib_vis_types] Status changed from uninitialized to green - Ready
log [12:50:32.161] [info][status][plugin:markdown_vis] Status changed from uninitialized to green - Ready
log [12:50:32.166] [info][status][plugin:metric_vis] Status changed from uninitialized to green - Ready
log [12:50:32.175] [info][status][plugin:spyModes] Status changed from uninitialized to green - Ready
log [12:50:32.178] [info][status][plugin:statusPage] Status changed from uninitialized to green - Ready
log [12:50:32.181] [info][status][plugin:elasticsearch] Status changed from yellow to green - Kibana index ready
log [12:50:32.182] [info][status][plugin:table_vis] Status changed from uninitialized to green - Ready
log [12:50:32.198] [info][listening] Server running at http://0.0.0.0:5601

I do not see any messages under /var/log/kibana

What are the last messages you see when Kibana "shuts itself down"? An error or reason?

Wh not use the packaged installer and the service file?

I have the same problem. It happened dozens of times.
I use "bin/kibana &" to start.
It shut down itself , and i have nothing new from the log file. The last one is something like "log [12:50:32.198] [info][listening] Server running at http://0.0.0.0:5601".
Hope someone could help.

What's more , when I set logging.verbose: true, the last one of the output is something like "***** statusCode : 200 ***".
I don't think it's unusual.

Could you both reply with details of your OS, Kibana version, any plugins installed, and hardware (bare metal or VM, RAM, CPUs, etc).

Also, could you check /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages (depending on OS) to see if there's any messages there regarding Kibana.

1. Do you have any estimates for how long Kibana is up before it shuts down?
  2. Is this a production Kibana installation, demo, development?
  3. Are there many users accessing this Kibana?
  4. Is there someone using it at the time when you think Kibana shuts down? If so, what is the user doing?

Could you also try running Kibana something like this;

time bin/kibana; date

so that if Kibana exits we can see how long it was up and the exact timestamp when it exited. This might make it easier to look for anything around that time in logs.

Thanks,
Lee