Kibana upgrade from 7 to 8.12 errors with security_exception on saved objects migration

I checked Upgrade Assistant prior to performing the upgrade.
I was also on the latest version of 7.17 before upgrading.

I'm attempting to upgrade to version 8.12 on my locally running development environment.
Thus, I manage the users, roles and users_roles in files that I mount inside the elastic stack containers.

Upon startup of kibana, I see a ton of these errors:

2024-01-23 15:14:54 [2024-01-23T21:14:54.299+00:00][ERROR][savedobjects-service] [.kibana_ingest] Action failed with 'security_exception
2024-01-23 15:14:54 Root causes:
2024-01-23 15:14:54 security_exception: action [indices:admin/create] is unauthorized for user [admin] with effective roles [kibana_admin,superuser] on restricted indices [.kibana_ingest_8.12.0_reindex_temp], this action is granted by the index privileges [create_index,manage,all]'. Retrying attempt 15 in 64 seconds.

They are logged for many .kibana indices.

i've tried adding the missing privileges to the kibana_admin role that I created but it obviously is not correct.

Is anyone able to help point me in the right direction?

I'm managing my users, roles, permissions using files I mount in the elasticsearch docker container as this is for local development.

I discovered a reserved/built-in role named kibana_system that apparently has the correct permissions needed to solve the errors above.

I added a user with that role and used that user for the kibana docker container and it started up with no errors.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.