Kibiana time range and interval is confusing

first, I set time range to 2month ago to 2020-1-19 (which is now)

However the graph start at 2019-10-31 (why?) and the last datapoint in the graph is 2019-12-21 (why?)

How can I see the data for 28 days from the 28 days ago, and 28*2 days ago?

Hi,

The "Interval" field is not there to specify the total range of the data you want to see, it's the size of one bucket on the x axis - e.g. if you set it to 1d, your chart will have one data point per day. It's best left to auto which will pick a reasonable value based on the time range automatically.

Thanks for the answer

If I want to see monthly data such as MAU, for three months, I would pick "time range" to 3 month and "period" for 1month, that's what I'm doing here

And kibana fails to show me past 3 month :frowning:

Hi, I see, this is confusing.

That's roughly what's happening here:

1. When you pick "2 Months" ago, it will subtract two calendar months from now - in the case of your screenshot this is 2019-11-17
  2. It will now try to position 28d buckets nicely in that time range. But they don't fit because they are 61 days in that time frame.
  3. Elasticsearch will try to distribute the buckets nicely and this is what it comes up with

The data point tooltip always marks the start of the bucket, so the data till the current day is still included in this last data point even though the x axis doesn't expand that far.

If you are looking at data produced each calendar month, you should use 1M as interval, then you will get the buckets you expect (2019-11-01, 2019-12-01 and 2020-01-01 till current day).

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.