Labeling certain time periods (e.g. with color)

Hi!

I am using Kibana to analyze nginx log. Specifically, I am using a percentile graph of request time. I know that my database server is periodically creating backups, let's say from 00:00 to 01:00.

Is it possible to somehow highlight a certain time period on the graph? That would allow me to see whether my increase of average request time increase is coincidental with the DB maintenance procedure. What would be even better is to somehow use a different data source to highlight these periods: I know when DB backup procedure started and finished each day.

Any ideas?

It's possible to change bucket colors in advanced settings by setting a hex value a label in the legend:

or by clicking on a legend label and choosing from the color picker.

It's possible to get different chart colors by time range but it's a bit of a hack and requires some extra work:

Related: https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/4482.

A picture is worth a thousand words

I would like to somehow highlight a certain time period. For example, in this image the period from 08:00 to 09:00 is highlighted. Of course, I did this in an image editor manually. Can Kibana do something like that automatically?