Latency in Kibana. Performing very slow

Hi Team,

We 're using Kibana as "Log Viewer" for application logs. Right now we're using only discover feature and not visualizations etc. Discover feature is too slow to retrieve back the results. Even Kibana home page is taking around 10 seconds to load and whenever I navigate between each icon on the left pane like Visualizations, Monitoring, Settings, it takes more than 8 seconds ALWAYS. I would like to know where the bottleneck is. I have provided some information below for analyzing.

> Kibana & Elastic version - 7.0
> Kibana host - 1
> Elastic host - 9 together in a single cluster (Master nodes - 3)
> Logstash to Elastic - logs pushed to all three master nodes.
> Kibana to Elastic - logs pulled from only one master node. 
> Disk space of Elastic -  4TB out of 100TB
> Number of indices - 279. Indexing records based on week of the year and housekeeping done for any 15 days old index.
> Shards - 2 (279 primary & 279 replica for 279 indices)
> Total number of docs - 433,351,846 (XMLs stored as String)
> Elastic heap - 128.1GB / 239GB
> Kibana memory usage - 270 MB / 1.4 GB
> In Kibana app monitoring, could see the response times only within 1000ms .
> Every index has around 970 fields, every tag is been treated as field.    

Kindly feel free to ask for more details & please do help me in resolving this latency.

Can you please post the time in from your network console when you do a search in discover and when you navigate between the apps?

Thanks,
Bhavya

1 Like

Hi @Saravana_Maadavan
I'm sorry if you are experiencing this delay, Kibana is a bit application with a lot of plugins/applications and the legacy platform structure was not configured to handle a seamless switch between application without loading the app bundle.
We are pushing our efforts toward a new plugin system that will allow smaller payload size and switch between apps without loading a new bundle every time. We are targeting version 8 for this migration.

1 Like

Hi @bhavyarm ,

In network console I could see the below readings. But I could see enormous times of HTTP 304 for all these below requests before final HTTP 200 pitches in. Is that expected?

KibanaHome - 10.24 seconds
KibanaDiscover - 20.48 seconds
KibanaUptimePageLoad - 10.24 seconds.

Cheers,
Maadavan

Hello @markov00

Thanks for your reply. I understand your explanation. But would you be able to clarify me whether the time taken for each of these pages given below are expected in Kibana_v7.0 for any user or Should I check in my server / network side for any additional delay apart from the expected Kibana's delay please?

KibanaHome - 10.24 seconds
KibanaDiscover - 20.48 seconds
KibanaUptimePageLoad - 10.24 seconds.

Cheers,
Maadavan

When switching page between Home, Discover, Visualize and Dashboard there should be zero/near zero delay on display the page. The only time spent here is on retrieving the data to display. In your case the 20 seconds in Discover is 20 seconds waiting for the page to fully load with also the data displayed or only 20 seconds to load the page and than another X seconds to wait before data is displayed?

I don't want to ask you a HAR file from the browser (because it can contain sensitive information) but could you please at least check the network tab in your browser dev tools and take a screenshot of timings for each requested resources?

Hello @markov00,

20 seconds is the full time taken for the page to load WITH data whereas in network console, could see findIndex itself starts only after ~16 seconds, so in the next 4 seconds data gets loaded is my assumption from the network console logs. Anyhow kindly find attached the screenshots asked (network console).

Cheers,
Maadavan

@bhavyarm & @markov00 / Team,

Any finding please? Kindly help me in resolving this issue.

Cheers,
Maadavan

Hi @Saravana_Maadavan

Could you share the specs of your client system? OS, Browser, RAM, CPU.
you're writing: "Discover feature is too slow to retrieve back the results" . So once loaded, and you resubmit a query, is it still slow?
Many thx!

Hi @matw,

PFB the details asked. No query given in discover search tab. Time taken is for the discover page to load with default index. And yes it is slow even when refreshed.

Windows 10
Mozila & Chrome
16GB RAM
Intel Core i5-7200U CPU @ 2.5GHz

Hello @matw , @markov00 , @bhavyarm ,

Kindly update if there is any new findings / guess / assumptions please. I will get it checked @ my end.

Cheers,
Maadavan

Hello @matw, @markov00, @bhavyarm,

Awaiting updates from you all still :slightly_frowning_face: Please help us in solving this.

Cheers,
Maadavan

Looking at the what seems to be the discover network calls, the request is taking more than 6 seconds to return. It can be caused by two factors: the value of rows configured in the discover advanced settings under Number of rows is too high, or the document contains too many fields.
Looking at your description I can see that you have documents with ~1000 fields on them. This can cause slowness in discover to fetch and render them. Unfortunately there are other possible issues that cause the slowness of the loading like:

There is a fix that could solve partially the problem in 7.6 https://github.com/elastic/kibana/pull/54600

@joshdover maybe you have a better overview of the status of this issue

3 Likes

Hello @markov00,

Thanks for your probable solution of upgrading to Kibana 7.6, but is there any planned date for release please? So I would be able to go back to my business team to share a possible solution & ETA date.

@joshdover - Kindly let me know if you have any better solution for this issue please.

Cheers,
Maadavan

Hi @Saravana_Maadavan
We don't have an exact day for the new release, usually the release cadence is near 3 months for minors. We are ideally going to release 7.6 this month as the previous one was in December

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.