Limit of total fields [1000], but there are not 1000 fields indexed

Team,
I am facing the issue with ES on the error "Limit of total fields [1000]". I have three different environments and have never faced such issue and its always same kind of data gets indexed. We spinned up new environment and this started causing the error mentioned above.

Even before hitting the limit of 1000, I am seeing the issue. I have a document which barely has 400 fields. How is ES calculating the 1000 fields?

Update:
For everyone out there, if you are trying to figure "Is my index actually exceeding 1000 fields limit?"

Grab the whole mappings of index and find how many times "type" is repeated. In my "type" is found more than 1000 times. Hence gives me clarity why it gives that error.
I have fetched the index settings and like said, barely 400 fields.

Which Elasticsearch version are you using? Are you using multi-fields?

I am using ES v6.3. Not sure about multi-fields. I am understanding what multi-fields is. but there is no special settings though.

Current index settings:

"settings": {
			"index": {
				"number_of_shards": "3",
				"provided_name": "xxx-index",
				"creation_date": "1580426176302",
				"analysis": {
					"normalizer": {
						"lowercase_normalizer": {
							"filter": ["lowercase"],
							"type": "custom"
						}
					}
				},
				"number_of_replicas": "1",
				"uuid": "H-rzcK9VTnWWlCzqV96Nog",
				"version": {
					"created": "6030199"
				}
			}
		}

For everyone out there, if you are trying to figure "Is my index actually exceeding 1000 fields limit?"

Grab the whole mappings of index and find how many times "type" is repeated. In my "type" is found more than 1000 times. Hence gives me clarity why it gives that error.

I found the root cause. Now I am fine increasing the limit to 1000+.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.