6 fields defined in my mappings. How is it possible to exceed the 1000 field size limit?

(Jack Park) #1

I am not making fields on the fly, unless there is a new bug; I've been running ES 6.1 on lots of "rows" of data, then suddenly, I am seeing the error message that I exceeded the 1000 limit on that index.

I am interested in hints on where to look; with just half dozen possible field s to use, it's not a case of increasing the limit. Or is it?

TIA

(Christian Dahlqvist) #2

What does your mapping for that index look like?

(Jack Park) #3

Here's a gist: mapping

The idea is that for any given document identified by "lox", there can be collections of labels and details according to a language code; the plan is to add other language codes.

(Christian Dahlqvist) #4

Looks odd. Can you show the full error?

(Jack Park) #5

Here is the code for my client:

Here is the error log:
2018-05-03 15:52:14 ERROR LoggingPlatform:45 - ProviderClient.put: Elasticsearch exception [type=illegal_argument_exception, reason=Limit of total fields [1000] in index [topics] has been exceeded]
ElasticsearchStatusException[Elasticsearch exception [type=illegal_argument_exception, reason=Limit of total fields [1000] in index [topics] has been exceeded]]
at org.elasticsearch.rest.BytesRestResponse.errorFromXContent(BytesRestResponse.java:177)
at org.elasticsearch.client.RestHighLevelClient.parseEntity(RestHighLevelClient.java:573)
at org.elasticsearch.client.RestHighLevelClient.parseResponseException(RestHighLevelClient.java:549)
at org.elasticsearch.client.RestHighLevelClient.performRequest(RestHighLevelClient.java:456)
at org.elasticsearch.client.RestHighLevelClient.performRequestAndParseEntity(RestHighLevelClient.java:429)
at org.elasticsearch.client.RestHighLevelClient.index(RestHighLevelClient.java:312)
at org.topicquests.es.ProviderClient.put(ProviderClient.java:146)
at org.topicquests.ks.tm.DataProvider.addLabel(DataProvider.java:744)
at org.topicquests.ks.tm.Proxy.addLabel(Proxy.java:487)
at org.topicquests.ks.tm.ProxyModel.newNode(ProxyModel.java:88)
at org.topicquests.ks.tm.ProxyModel.newInstanceNode(ProxyModel.java:156)

(Jack Park) #6

I think it is worth noting that Kibana shows no fields other than those I specified, and specifically, those in use.

(Jack Park) #7

@Christian_Dahlqvist after emptying the index, the bug cropped up again rather quickly. It seems worth showing what was being indexed at the failure:

ProviderClient.put 76d740ca-1bf5-4a04-bb26-a7fb1449d120InstanceRelationTypeClassType topics {"lox":"76d740ca-1bf5-4a04-bb26-a7fb1449d120InstanceRelationTypeClassType","details":{"en":["Relate existing nodes:<br/>SUE<br/> with</br> Class type<br/>with the relation: InstanceRelationType"]},"label":{"en":["InstanceRelationType"]}}

I noticed an enormous amount of log lines between that line and the exception. Here's a gist of that entire log: https://gist.github.com/KnowledgeGarden/3c24a01e5805404426327d974918ff37

(Jack Park) #8

@Christian_Dahlqvist Just curious. I am running these exercises on 6.2.2; I updated the field limit to 2000 and made it so I can run longer -- have yet to break it; that seems like I am masking something else. That something else could be some error in my code, or it could be elasticsearch version related, though I have no way of knowing which. I plan to try running against 6.2.4 without the increased limit.

(Jack Park) #9

@Christian_Dahlqvist I can report that 6.2.4 did not make the ElasticsearchStatusException[Elasticsearch exception [type=illegal_argument_exception, reason=Limit of total fields [1000] in index [topics] has been exceeded]] go away. Kibana shows that a total of 7 fields are in play and available. From an issue at github, I landed here https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/5.0/mapping.html#mapping-limit-settings which says:

The following settings allow you to limit the number of field mappings that can be created manually or dynamically, in order to prevent bad documents from causing a mapping explosion:
index.mapping.total_fields.limit

That raises this question: mapping explosions; what are they, how can they be caused?
I have a fixed (small) number of fields. What in a client program can cause an explosion in mappings -- which I interpret to mean that some of my fields are not in the map so they are dynamically created?

(David Pilato) #10

Can you share the json document which is generated by your code and sent to elasticsearch?

(Jack Park) #11

Thanks for that question. It forced a much deeper look into my code; indeed, it was my bug, not elasticsearch. I can report the nature of the bug in my code which reveals "how elasticsearch thinks". A primary field in my mappings is "lox": all other fields key off that in this sense: it appears that if you send in a document which is absent "lox", es doesn't know where to put it, so it creates new fields, as if this is a whole new document. Making sure "lox" is set ends the issue entirely.

(system) #12

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.