Limited time period in Canvas

Hi,

I am trying to make line graphs in Canvas based on an Elasticsearch SQL query. When I use the "preview data" button, the data is here. If I use data from the last 14 days, it works. But for some reason, if I try to make a chart based on data older than 14 days ago, I get an empty graph.

My expression is:

filters

| essql

query="SELECT HISTOGRAM(\"@timestamp\", INTERVAL 30 MINUTES) AS h, COUNT(\"events.tokens.eventType\") AS number FROM \"denyall-*\" WHERE \"@timestamp\" >= CAST('2020-11-10' AS DATETIME) AND \"@timestamp\" <= CAST('2020-11-12' AS DATETIME) AND (\"context.tunnelName\" = 'something1' OR \"context.tunnelName\" = 'something2') GROUP BY h ORDER BY h"

| pointseries x="h" y="mean(number)"

| plot defaultStyle={seriesStyle lines="1" bars="0" points="1"}

| render

The result of this query looks like this:

Am I doing something wrong ?

Thank you.

@axfla,
I've just tested and this worked for me:

Simpler example I've used that worked for me:

filters
| essql 
  query="SELECT HISTOGRAM(\"@timestamp\", INTERVAL 30 MINUTES) AS h FROM \"kibana_sample_data_logs\" WHERE \"@timestamp\" >= CAST('2020-11-01' AS DATETIME) AND \"@timestamp\" <= CAST('2020-11-05' AS DATETIME) GROUP BY h ORDER BY h"
| math "unique(h)"
| metric "Days" 
  metricFont={font size=48 family="'Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif" color="#000000" align="center" lHeight=48} 
  labelFont={font size=14 family="'Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif" color="#000000" align="center"} metricFormat="0,0.[000]"
| render

Not sure what goes wrong in your case.
Could you simplify your query to validate?
What Kibana version are you using?

Hello @dosant ,

Thank you for your help. I just tried your expression and replaced the index by mine, and still faced the same issue:

Still, the data exists, here is the data preview:

If I remove the upper limit from the expression, I get a result, based on the last 14 days:

I use Kibana 7.9.3.

Good morning! The easiest way to debug this kind of thing is to add render as="debug" after each portion of the expression. So, for example:

filters | render as="debug" will output a JSON representation of the active filters on the page.

filters | essql {...} | render as="debug" will output JSON of the query results.

...etc.

This technique can help you find precisely where the problem might be. Can you give that a try?

Hello @clintandrewhall ,

Thank you for the tip, I wasn't aware of this debugging feature. Unfortunately, it made me realize someone added a time filter on another slide (we are a few people working on the same canvas), and it applied to my requests... So there is actually no problem. Again, thank you both for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.