Loading Custom Plugins in Kibana

Hello,

I'm new to ELK stack and am working on a Kibana plugin, a form that submits a request to some external api. I successfully got the plugin to set up and to work following the steps in the Kibana docs. The plugin works on my local deployment of kibana (installed thru git), but it doesn't work on kibana instance which was installed using yum on Centos7. When loading the plugin, kibana logs an Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token '<' (which is suspect to be caused by not running yarn kbn bootstrap). I'm running the same kibana and elastic search versions (7.7) on both deployments and cannot reproduce the error on kibana installed by git.

After getting ELK set up on Centos, I'm not seeing a scripts folder that contains some of the boiler-plate files to generate plugins on my Centos server. Because of this, I'm unable to generate a new sample plugin to test with. Yarn and it's files are also not present, preventing me from running commands like yarn kbn bootstrap to kick off kibana plugin development.

How come I'm missing certain files (for plugin development) when installing via yum? Is it possible to add these files back? Are there steps I'm missing to get my custom plugin to work? (other than copying the directory of my plugin and installing it in kibana/plugins)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

@tinhn Welcome to the Discuss forum!
I suspect the setup is different because of the way yum works. I think you'll likely find some answers in the ubuntu docs and forums.

Hi @cheiligers,

Thanks for your response. It seems that the scripts are only included when installing kibana from github.

When generating a new custom kibana plugin, do I just need to copy my plugin directory into kibana/plugins on the Centos server? I'm confused on why the generated plugin (boilerplate) works as expected on the kibana instance I generated it v.s when loading onto Centos.

@tinhn I haven't tried to do that myself but adding your plugin to the kibana/plugins folder is a great start! I'm not sure if there's something more you might need to do so I recommend you test it out on your local github build first. The plugins each need to register and therefore need a .json file in the plugin folder. Try to debug locally and then reproduce it on the Centos server.
Good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.