Locked/read only indices

When I try to change my visualizations in Kibana I get the following message:
Visualization Editor: blocked by: [FORBIDDEN/12/index read-only / allow delete (api)];: [cluster_block_exception] blocked by: [FORBIDDEN/12/index read-only / allow delete (api)];

So somehow my indices got locked.
I allready tried out the proposed solution in the following post, which unfortunately doesn't work for me:

Do you have another idea what I could try to unlock the indexes again?

This often means that you are running out of disk space and have passed one of the high watermark thresholds. Unless you correct this indices will go back into read-only state.

Thanks for the quick response. On the partition I am storing my indexes there is still over 200GB of disk space left.

How big is the partition? The threshold is by default specified as a percentage.

The partition is 5 Terrabyte in size.
Is there away to change the threshold or even deactivate it?

Yes, you can change it. Be sure it does not make you run out of disk space though as that can cause corruption. Look for watermark in the docs.

Thank you so much for your help. I ran the following command to disable the threshold:

PUT /_cluster/settings
{
"persistent" : {
"cluster.routing.allocation.disk.threshold_enabled" : false
}
}

After that I restarted the elasticsearch and Kibana services, ran the following command:

PUT .kibana/_settings
{
"index": {
"blocks": {
"read_only_allow_delete": false
}
}
}

Now it works again.

4 Likes

Be careful with that though as you could run into serious problems now that you have disabled this safety check. There is a good reason it is there by default...

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.