Log_file_path

Hi i am using filebeat on windows to get some application logs. Messages are harvest using a wildcard path. messages coming in do not contain the path of the log, is there a way to place such a field in the log message?

Hi @christos_zivlas, welcome to discuss :slightly_smiling_face:

If you are using the log input, log path should be in the event, in the log.file.path field.

Hi, this is what happens on linux filebeat, the path shows as you describe but for windows filebeat this is not the case? Is there way to configure filebeat for windows to retrieve that info?

What inputs are you using in Windows? If you are using the log input, it should also fill this field.

Hi jsoriano, i am using windows filebeat version 7.11 and graylog 3.1.4 and log input. I was expecting to see log.file.path field as i do when i get logs from linux machines with file beat. i am using a log input as the configuration below

# Needed for Graylog
fields_under_root: true
fields.collector_node_id: ${sidecar.nodeName}
fields.gl2_source_collector: ${sidecar.nodeId}
fields.source: ${sidecar.nodeName}

output.logstash:
   hosts: ["172.17.1.213:5044"]
path:
  data: C:\Program Files\Graylog\sidecar\cache\filebeat\data
  logs: C:\Program Files\Graylog\sidecar\logs

filebeat.inputs:

- input_type: log
  enabled: true
  #ignore_older: 48h
  #close_eof: true
  tail_files: true
  tags: 
    - gxsas2
  paths:

- D:\as2\icomas2logs\gxs\*\*\*

i am not really sure what i am doing wrong

Do you have access to the original event as sent by filebeat? From this screenshot I see that some field names are modified (for example beat_name instead of beat.name).

Hi jsoriano, no fields were modified...this is the original configuration as created by graylog in sidecar section. Not sure if and how to access the original event. Not sure how filebeat for windows differs from filebeat for linux. I have 2 windows filebeat. Filebeat is running is running on top of sidecar if it makes any difference. Is there a chance this is not supported on filebeat for windows?

Hi I think manage to find a solution first of all fixing the _ . Then realised that i can assign log.file.path to a field. Now my question is, how can i add a custom field with in filebeat configuration? Do i need a processor?

U can use the set processor to add a new field.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.