Login is currently disabled because the license could not be determined. Please check that Elasticsearch has the X-Pack plugin installed and is reachable, then refresh this page


(Berry) #1

Hi,

This was raised here in the past, yet I couldn't find the answer for my use case:
I installed Logstash (5.6.0), ElasticSearch (5.6.0) and Kibana (5.6.0) in the same machine. I was able to access Kibana and play a little with elasticsearch.
After I installed x-pack (5.6.0), I recieved the following message when I'm trying to enter Kibana's portal:
"_Login is currently disabled because the license could not be determined. Please check that Elasticsearch has the X-Pack plugin installed and is reachable, then refresh this page."

I read here that I need to update the expired license (which was expired after 2 days - odd), but I can't update the new downloaded license, because I can't access Kibana.

Please help.
Please bare in mind that this is my first experience with ES

Thanks!
Joe


(Mark Walkom) #2

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/x-pack/5.6/installing-license.html should get you sorted out.


(Berry) #3

Thanks for your prompt response.

I followed the instractions and received the follow response:

PS C:\Users\Administrator> gc .\yossi-carmon-05378c9c-9e7a-4778-92e8-dc42ef0bc0d1-v5.json | Invoke-WebRequest -uri http
://localhost:9200/_xpack/license -Credential Administrator -Method Put
Invoke-WebRequest : Unable to connect to the remote server
At line:1 char:67

  • ... -v5.json | Invoke-WebRequest -uri http://localhost:9200/_xpack/licen ...
  •             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    
    • CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:slight_smile: [Invoke-WebRequest], WebException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Net.WebException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeWebRequestCommand

#4

This is something I just recently started experiencing as well after recent updates to my cluster. My elasticsearch logs do show the license as valid and I've tried refreshing it. And Kibana continuously says the license could not be determined.

Could this be an issue with the x-pack plugin for Kibana? Because in the past I have manually upgraded the x-pack plugin like I usually do after an update/upgrade and that cluster has always come back fine now for except for this time.

Any input and feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.


(Bhavya R M) #5

Hi,

We had a bug on our license poller in Kibana. Is it possible for you to restart both elasticsearch and Kibana?
That will restart the poller.

If you can't: let me know. I will hunt around for when the fix went it.

Which version of the stack are you on right now?

Thanks,
Bhavya


(Berry) #6

I still suffers from the same problem. Thought on removing it and maybe install it again.
Is there any other solution?


#7

I'm currently on 5.6.0 and all I have been doing since the update is restarting both elasticsearch and kibana on my kibana hosts, reinstalling plugins, refreshing license and tweaking kibana.yaml with no luck.

I see there's now a 5.6.1-1 available on my local repositories, would this address this bug you mention?

Thanks!


(Bhavya R M) #8

Hi,

I cannot reproduce this in my local darwin. So, not at all sure whats happening.
Can you all let me know which OS you all are on?

Thanks,
Bhavya


(Berry) #9

I'm using Windows Server 2016 STD version


(Berry) #10

I'm now downloading version 5.6.1.


#11

I'm currently running my whole cluster on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4 Maipo

Interesting that this is happening for hackilberry in Windows Server though.


(Bhavya R M) #12

Yep. Hunting around a windows machine to try this.


(Bhavya R M) #13

Can you post your Kibana and ES logs too?

Thanks,
Bhavya


(Berry) #14

Sure. Where can I find Kibana's log?


(Bhavya R M) #15

Ok. Let's break this down.

Hey TM - can you please make a separate thread about about your issue? Also upgrade to 5.6.1?
And keep us posted?

Thanks,
Bhavya


#16

Will do both - thanks!

TM


(Bhavya R M) #17

awesome. What happens if you add x-pack on it?

Thanks,
Bhavya


(Berry) #18

I now created a clean VM machine with windows 2016 server and clean installation of ES 5.6.1, Kibana 5.6.1, Logstash and X-Pack.
I finished to install ES, and now I'm finishing the installation for Kibana.
I will run it before I will install X-Pack, so you can compare both logs.
Give me 10 min to send it to you


(Berry) #19

This is the log after installing version 5.6.1 for ES and Kibana. I CAN access Kibana

C:\kibana-5.6.1-windows-x86\bin>kibana
log [04:21:11.552] [info][status][plugin:kibana@5.6.1] Status changed from uninitialized to green - Ready
log [04:21:11.631] [info][status][plugin:elasticsearch@5.6.1] Status changed from uninitialized to yellow - Waiting for Elasticsearch
log [04:21:11.646] [info][status][plugin:console@5.6.1] Status changed from uninitialized to green - Ready
log [04:21:11.662] [info][status][plugin:metrics@5.6.1] Status changed from uninitialized to green - Ready
log [04:21:11.849] [info][status][plugin:timelion@5.6.1] Status changed from uninitialized to green - Ready
log [04:21:11.849] [info][listening] Server running at http://localhost:5601
log [04:21:11.849] [info][status][ui settings] Status changed from uninitialized to yellow - Elasticsearch plugin is yellow
log [04:21:16.927] [info][status][plugin:elasticsearch@5.6.1] Status changed from yellow to yellow - No existing Kibana index found
log [04:21:18.256] [info][status][plugin:elasticsearch@5.6.1] Status changed from yellow to green - Kibana index ready
log [04:21:18.256] [info][status][ui settings] Status changed from yellow to green - Ready


(Bhavya R M) #20

Sorry posted it as a reply to another question :slight_smile: