Logs and Metrics apps disappeared from Kibana after upgrading to 7.7

Hi There,

I've upgraded Elasticsearch and Kibana from 7.5.1 to 7.7. Apart from the monitoring (deprecation of some x-pack functionalities) the upgrade was reasonably smooth. However, when I loaded the new version of Kibana, I've noticed that the "Logs" and the "Metrics" apps were missing from the left menu bar. Everything else seems to be in place and working correctly. Can someone please help out and let me know how to get these back?

Cheers,
Laz

UPDATE:
I think I've gotten a bit closer. Turns out Logs and Metrics are both part of the "infra" plugin, which is turned off due to the errors below. I believe fixing this would make the UI come alright as well - I just don't know how to fix it :slight_smile:

PS C:\Elastic\kibana\bin> .\kibana.bat
log   [08:47:16.435] [warning][plugins-discovery] Expect plugin "id" in camelCase, but found: apm_oss
log   [08:47:16.468] [warning][plugins-discovery] Expect plugin "id" in camelCase, but found: file_upload
log   [08:47:16.481] [warning][plugins-discovery] Expect plugin "id" in camelCase, but found: triggers_actions_ui
log   [08:47:35.509] [info][plugins-service] Plugin "infra" has been disabled since some of its direct or transitive dependencies are missing or disabled.```

Hi @dRm42!

is turned off due to the errors below

Has a link to error been missed? Those warnings shouldn't affect Kibana runtime.

Plugin "infra" has been disabled since some of its direct or transitive dependencies are missing or disabled

Have you disabled any other plugins?

Hi @Mikhail_Shustov ,

No, I haven't disabled any plugin. It was a well working 7.5.1 stack, I/ve downloaded 7.7 and copied over ./config and ./data, otherwise it's all running with defaults. The snippet in my previous comment was the first 4 lines of the console, there were no other entries before. I paste a little longer snippet here to show:

PS C:\Elastic\kibana\bin> .\kibana.bat
  log   [08:47:16.435] [warning][plugins-discovery] Expect plugin "id" in camelCase, but found: apm_oss
  log   [08:47:16.468] [warning][plugins-discovery] Expect plugin "id" in camelCase, but found: file_upload
  log   [08:47:16.481] [warning][plugins-discovery] Expect plugin "id" in camelCase, but found: triggers_actions_ui
  log   [08:47:35.509] [info][plugins-service] Plugin "infra" has been disabled since some of its direct or transitive dependencies are missing or disabled.
  log   [08:47:35.513] [info][plugins-service] Plugin "spaces" is disabled.
  log   [08:47:44.291] [info][plugins-system] Setting up [74] plugins: [taskManager,siem,licensing,eventLog,encryptedSavedObjects,code,visTypeVega,usageCollection,actions,metrics,ossTelemetry,lens,tel
emetryCollectionManager,telemetry,telemetryCollectionXpack,timelion,features,kibanaLegacy,devTools,apm_oss,translations,rollup,observability,uiActions,savedObjects,statusPage,share,newsfeed,kibanaUtil
s,kibanaReact,inspector,maps,embeddable,drilldowns,advancedUiActions,esUiShared,discover,charts,bfetch,expressions,visualizations,data,home,cloud,console,consoleExtensions,searchprofiler,painlessLab,c
anvas,management,upgradeAssistant,security,snapshotRestore,case,transform,alerting,monitoring,apm,alertingBuiltins,triggers_actions_ui,uptime,licenseManagement,ml,indexManagement,remoteClusters,watche
r,reporting,advancedSettings,telemetryManagementSection,file_upload,dataEnhanced,navigation,graph,dashboard]

Also, not sure if this helps, but I've tried to reenable the triggers_actions_ui plugin to see what happens and this is what I've got:

PS C:\Elastic\kibana\bin> .\kibana-plugin.bat install triggers_actions_ui
Found previous install attempt. Deleting...
Attempting to transfer from triggers_actions_ui
Attempting to transfer from https://artifacts.elastic.co/downloads/kibana-plugins/triggers_actions_ui/triggers_actions_ui-7.7.0.zip
Plugin installation was unsuccessful due to error "No valid url specified."
PS C:\Elastic\kibana\bin>

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

This plugin is already included in Kibana distributable. Kibana found and bootstrapped it:

Setting up [74] plugins: ...triggers_actions_ui,...

Could you provide your kibana.yml file, please?

See below. Host name, password and UUIDs are obfuscated, but otherwise everything's "as is". Also, I lied, sorry. I did disable spaces a long time ago when we were still on 7.5.1 - but I guess that shouldn't matter.

server.host: "SERVER_NAME"
elasticsearch.hosts: ["http://SERVER_NAME:9200"]

kibana.index: ".kibana"
kibana.defaultAppId: "home"

elasticsearch.username: "kibana"
elasticsearch.password: "NotMyRealPassword!!"

xpack.spaces.enabled: false
monitoring.kibana.collection.enabled: true
xpack.encryptedSavedObjects.encryptionKey: "d819e62e-bbe1-4398-d889-3f86fd3a63e0"
xpack.reporting.encryptionKey: "42ee89c8-d889-bbe1-9408-b61207b82945"
xpack.security.encryptionKey: "d819e62e-9408-49f0-bbe1-3f86fd3a63e0"

@dRm42 It seems that Infra plugin requires Spaces plugin to be enabled to work. https://github.com/elastic/kibana/blob/8adc272f0c31a41cd6c26751c163ac9931fb4bd7/x-pack/plugins/infra/kibana.json#L8
Could you turn it on, please?

1 Like

@Mikhail_Shustov I would have sworn that I've tested this yesterday. Must have forgotten to save my changes in the config file or something. Thanks so much!!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.