Logstash does not start main pipeline and produces no output on Ubuntu 16.04

I have installed Logstash and Elasticsearch on an Ubuntu 16.04 machine with 4 gb ram using apt-get install logstash.

When I boot the service with systemctl start logstash it does start the process (I can see it using ps aux | grep logstash) but no index is created in Elasticsearch. I thought I would try to debug it by just running the process in the terminal but when I do it creates no output.

This is the command I run:

sudo -u logstash /usr/share/logstash/bin/logstash \
 --path.settings /etc/logstash \
 -f /etc/logstash/conf.d/std.conf \
 --config.test_and_exit \
 --log.level debug

Nothing ever happens - it produces no output. It does not tell me that the main pipeline has started or gives me an error or anything.

I have checked /var/log/logstash put the folder is empty. I have checked syslog but there are only a few entries from when it was running as a service (only entries like Mar 22 20:11:21 elasticsearch-logstash systemd[1]: Started logstash.)

I installed logstash as root and I have tried chown -R logstash:adm both /usr/share/logstash/, var/log/logstash and /etc/logstash but nothing works.

I only have a single configuration file /etc/logstash/conf.d/main.conf and I have tried several pipeline configurations but same result:

main.conf (version 1)

input { 
  stdin {

} 
} 
output {
  stdout {

} 
}

main.conf (version 2)

input {
  stdin {
  }
}
output {
 file {
   path => "/var/log/logstash/yo.log"
 }
}

main.conf (version 3)

input { 
  stdin {

} 
} 
output {
  stdout { codec => rubydebug }
}

None of these configurations change the outcome in anyway. I have no idea why it is silently failing on me.

It should be noted that I have also tried installing by downloading the tar file and running Logstash from the downloaded directory with same result.

Any ideas?

Its likely waiting for input into stdin, have you tried passing something in?

It also doesn't look like you've told it to output to Elasticsearch. I don't think it does this by default but maybe I'm wrong.

Here's my output section:

output {
  elasticsearch {
    hosts => "localhost:9200"
  }
  stdout { codec => rubydebug }
}

Turns out it was the lack of entropy problem.

The issue: https://github.com/elastic/logstash/issues/5491
The solution: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-setup-additional-entropy-for-cloud-servers-using-haveged

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.