Logstash - elapsed plugin

How to install filter plugin (Elapsed) into Logstash, which is already running as a pod in K8s?
If I run Logstash from the image docker.elastic.co/logstash/logstash:8.6.1, I can't use "Elapsed" filter, as it's not installed. So I sneak into the running pod and run "bin/logstash-plugin install logstash-filter-elapsed" which works well and write out that the filter is installed, however Logstash won't work with it - logs are full of errors right after the installation. I understand the the logstash should be restarted, however, if I delete/apply it in K8s, it start from image without installed plugin.

[ERROR] 2023-03-02 17:07:36.182 [Converge PipelineAction::Create<main>] registry - Unable to load plugin. {:type=>"filter", :name=>"elapsed"}
[ERROR] 2023-03-02 17:07:36.184 [Converge PipelineAction::Create<main>] agent - Failed to execute action {:action=>LogStash::PipelineAction::Create/pipeline_id:main, :exception=>"Java::JavaLang::IllegalStateException", :message=>"Unable to configure plugins: (PluginLoadingError) Couldn't find any filter plugin named 'elapsed'. Are you sure this is correct? Trying to load the elapsed filter plugin resulted in this error: Unable to load the requested plugin named elapsed of type filter. The plugin is not installed.", :backtrace=>["org.logstash.config.ir.CompiledPipeline.<init>(CompiledPipeline.java:120)", "org.logstash.execution.AbstractPipelineExt.initialize(AbstractPipelineExt.java:181)", "org.logstash.execution.AbstractPipelineExt$INVOKER$i$initialize.call(AbstractPipelineExt$INVOKER$i$initialize.gen)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.JavaMethod$JavaMethodN.call(JavaMethod.java:846)", "org.jruby.ir.runtime.IRRuntimeHelpers.instanceSuper(IRRuntimeHelpers.java:1229)", "org.jruby.ir.runtime.IRRuntimeHelpers.instanceSuperSplatArgs(IRRuntimeHelpers.java:1202)", "org.jruby.ir.targets.indy.InstanceSuperInvokeSite.invoke(InstanceSuperInvokeSite.java:29)", "usr.share.logstash.logstash_minus_core.lib.logstash.java_pipeline.RUBY$method$initialize$0(/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/java_pipeline.rb:48)", "usr.share.logstash.logstash_minus_core.lib.logstash.pipeline_action.create.RUBY$method$execute$0(/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline_action/create.rb:50)", "usr.share.logstash.logstash_minus_core.lib.logstash.agent.RUBY$block$converge_state$2(/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:386)", "org.jruby.runtime.CompiledIRBlockBody.callDirect(CompiledIRBlockBody.java:141)", "org.jruby.runtime.IRBlockBody.call(IRBlockBody.java:64)", "org.jruby.runtime.IRBlockBody.call(IRBlockBody.java:58)", "org.jruby.runtime.Block.call(Block.java:143)", "org.jruby.RubyProc.call(RubyProc.java:309)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.RubyRunnable.run(RubyRunnable.java:107)", "java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833)"]}
[

Simple logstash config is following:

filter {
      # we need to add tags for certain messages, mandatory for elapsed plugin
      if "Starting" in [message] {
        mutate { add_tag => "ElapsedStart" }
      }
      if "Processing" in [messageTemplate] {
        mutate { add_tag => "ElapsedEnd" }
      }

# Evaluating time between two messages with Elapsed plugin, skipping messages without tags
      if "Elapsed" in [tags] {
        elapsed {
         end_tag => "ElapsedEnd"
         start_tag => "ElapsedStart"
         unique_id_field => "fields.xy"
         timeout => 1800
        }
      }
    }

There is probably no other way than build an image with Elapsed plugin installed and save it into private Repository.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.