Logstash input Salesforce still alive? Process for abandoned plugin projects?

Hi all,

There's a PR on the logstash-input-salesforce plugin that I would really love to be merged and included into the main release of that plugin, but the project seems to have been abandoned: no changes have happened in over a year.

Is there some kind of process around the Logstash plugins on Logstash Plugins · GitHub ? Who controls the release cycle? Is there a way for someone to take over ownership of an abandoned plugin?

Appreciate any insights,
Frans

Hi @frans-wtax let us revisit this and explore the possibilities for taking over ownership of the repository. We will get back.

Thanks, @ashishtiwari1993 .

hi @frans-wtax, thanks for taking interest and volunteering to maintain the salesforce input!

The plugins under the logstash-plugins github org are under different levels of maintenance depending on demand, given that we're a small team and can't actively maintain all 200 of them.

Logstash ships about 90 of those, which we keep a closer look on, but there are plugins that are currently being maintained by external contributors.
If you wish to maintain this plugin we can make you an external contributor to the plugin on Github, and make you a gem owner on rubygems.org so you can publish new versions.

If you're ok with that we can start working on giving you the necessary permissions. Elastic is still here to help if you get blocked or need further assistance.

Hey @jsvd, that sounds great!

Just to confirm: the plugin versions on rubygems.org are the ones that get installed when you run bin/logstash-plugin install, right?

Correct! The Logstash plugins are gems and the Logstash plugin manager uses rubygems.org as its source.

1 Like

Hey João!

Hope you're well.

I'm trying to get up and running with the plugin, but the instructions in the README don't seem to be accurate / up to date / work on macOS.

I opened a thread for this (Cannot get started with development of a Logstash plugin: README incorrect?) but not getting any help.

Do you have an up-to-date guide for setting up a dev environment to develop on a Logstash plugin on macOS?

Thanks!
Frans