Logstash not indexed to Elasticsearch

Searching the forum, but I don't find any threads that actually fixes my problem. So posting the question here.

The main problem is I don't find data processed by logstash gets indexed to elasticsearch.

curl 'localhost:9200/_cat/indices?v'
health status index   uuid                   pri rep docs.count docs.deleted store.size pri.store.size
yellow open   .kibana hIm_g8DDQPu9HC3aOAiZKQ   1   1          1            0      3.2kb          3.2kb

My setup flow is logstash read local gz files, indexing those data to elasticsearch. Config contents include:

input {
  file {
    type => "gzip"
    path => "/path/to/log/*.log.gz"
    start_position => beginning
    sincedb_path => "/dev/null"
    codec => "gzip_lines"
    max_open_files => 1000000
  }
}
output {
  elasticsearch {
    hosts => ["localhost:9200"]
    sniffing => true
    manage_template => false
    index => "%{[@metadata][beat]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
    document_type => "%{[@metadata][type]}"
  }
}

I am sure elasticsearch is up because it responses message when posting with curl command curl localhost:9200

{
  "name" : "-6IWhCo",
  "cluster_name" : "elasticsearch",
  "cluster_uuid" : "J6OXwQmcSUS6R9q0nRmEvg",
  "version" : {
    "number" : "5.5.0",
    "build_hash" : "260387d",
    "build_date" : "2017-06-30T23:16:05.735Z",
    "build_snapshot" : false,
    "lucene_version" : "6.6.0"
  }
  "tagline" : "You Know, for Search"
}

Also my ELK stack runs on the same EC2 server.

In addition, logstash does process local gz files but sometimes it complains observe_read_file: general error reading /path/to/....gz - error: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Object ¿´óxY^T<U+0A8D>.Áæ^^Àf{ú@^GESCi·Mé<U+0094># n, though more often it just prints Received line {:path =>"/path/to/....gz", :text=>"\xBF\xB4\xF3LY\x14\x8D...."} when debug mode is enabled (e.g. by adding --debug flag in /etc/systemd/system/logstash.service file)

There is no firewall rules that might block routing message between logstash and easticsearch, and I am able to telnet localhost 9200 as well

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

The only warning I found it might be weird is [logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Restored connection to ES instance {:url=>#<Java::JavaNet::URI:0x3aa8a5e>} but that seems to be normal as I notice other people's logstash log file (when googling or searching in the forum) also contains that line. And elasticsearch log also prints ][o.e.c.r.a.AllocationService] [-6IWhCo] Cluster health status changed from [RED] to [YELLOW] (reason: [shards started [[.kibana][0]] ...]). that looks up and running.

What other places I can check that might prevent elasticsearch from indexing data?

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.