Logstash not indexing anything

(Simon Risberg) #1

Hello! I thought I had Logstash all figured out but apparently I don't. It worked fine for me up until today. It indexed the log files I wanted to but today it just won't index anything at all and in the log I keep getting the error message "message=>"retrying failed action with response code: 503", :level=>:warn}"

I have searched around a bit and I have no idea what is going on.

(Simon Risberg) #2

Apparently it can read what happened from yesterday and the days before that but not today.

(Magnus Bäck) #3

How's the health of you ES cluster? Anything interesting in the logs?

(Simon Risberg) #5

The logs are saying stuff like "Too many attempts at sending events. Dropping "event name"

This is what it looks like

stash_1 | {:timestamp=>"2015-07-03T09:12:12.540000+0000", :message=>"too many attempts at sending event. dropping: 2015-07-03T09:05:53.514Z 1100e328950e 2015-0 7-03 09:05:53,039+0000 DEBUG [qtp2092176926-68027] *UNKNOWN org.sonatype.nexus.content.internal.ContentAuthenticationFilter - Attempting to authenticate Subject as Anonymous request...", :level=>:error}

(Simon Risberg) #6

How do you see the health of your cluster? After some research my best guess is that the logstash has stashed to many events or something. Is there a way to fix this?

(Magnus Bäck) #7

The cluster health API is useful, and you should definitely run an ES dashboard plugin like kopf. Sorry for being unclear about the logs; it's the ES logs I'm talking about. ES is the software that's misbehaving so it's likely that its logs will be the most interesting.

(Simon Risberg) #8

Where do I find the ES logs naturally? My best guess is that the index is full? Because the log message says that it attempts to send events but fails. There are a lot of words I dont' really know about like "index, indices" and such.

(Magnus Bäck) #9

The ES logs are normally found in /var/log/elasticsearch. There's no such things as a full index but you may very well have run out of RAM.

There are a lot of words I dont' really know about like "index, indices" and such.

I suggest you read Elasticsearch: The Definitive Guide (at least the intro chapter(s)). The Elasticsearch Reference document also contains explanations of indexes, shards, and so on. Without a basic understanding of those concepts this is going to be a bumpy ride for you.

(Simon Risberg) #10

Thank you.

(Simon Risberg) #11

The log is saying

{:timestamp=>"2015-07-03T11:42:00.292000+0000", :message=>"retrying failed action with response code: 503", :level=>:warn}

and
{:timestamp=>"2015-07-03T11:45:04.858000+0000", :message=>"too many attempts at sending event. dropping: 2015-07-03T11:35:58.600Z 7738b91a24ce Using data from old metadata for com/jeppesen/jcms/ioserver.sdk/19.2.0/ioserver.sdk-19.2.0.rpm", :level=>:error}

(Magnus Bäck) #12

That's the Logstash logfile. What's in the Elasticsearch logfile?

(Simon Risberg) #13

Because of the error message I get it feels like it has stashed away the events from all the logs that I've indexed. Is there some way to remove the events that I've stashed?

(Magnus Bäck) #14

Nothing is being "stashed". If Logstash can't send data to its output it halts the pipeline.

(Simon Risberg) #15

Okey! From what the log says. What do you think might be the problem with the pipeline? Have you ever encountered something like this before? I've read up a little bit on shards, nodes and clusters.

(Simon Risberg) #16

I managed to get the status on my cluster and yes it's red.

"cluster_name" : "elk",
"status" : "red",
"timed_out" : false,
"number_of_nodes" : 1,
"number_of_data_nodes" : 1,
"active_primary_shards" : 51,
"active_shards" : 51,
"relocating_shards" : 0,
"initializing_shards" : 0,
"unassigned_shards" : 61,
"number_of_pending_tasks" : 0,
"number_of_in_flight_fetch" : 0

(Magnus Bäck) #17

Again, the Elasticsearch logs should contain clues as to what's up with the cluster. There's no point in guessing what it could be.

(Simon Risberg) #18

Remind me, where could I find the elasticsearch logfile?

(Magnus Bäck) #19

See earlier in the thread.

(Simon Risberg) #20

Apparently the elasticsearch folder is empty. What is the log called so I can search for it?

(Magnus Bäck) #21

/var/log/elasticsearch is empty? Is your disk full?