Logstash using multiline for big log file

Hello everyone,

I have to handle big log-files (arround 50k lines) using ELK and want to extract some information out of it.
A long story short, I want to use filter for searching for specific informations, store those infos and drop the rest. Therefore i used a logstash configuration like this:

input {
  file{
    type => "test" 
    path => "/usr/share/logstash/input/*/log"
    start_position => "beginning"
    codec => multiline {
            pattern => "Finished: (SUCCESS|FAILURE)"
            negate => "true"
            what => "next"
            max_lines => 16000
            max_bytes => "30MiB"
    }
  }
}

filter {
    grok {
        patterns_dir => ["/usr/share/logstash/patterns"]
        match => { "message" => "Finished: %{WORD:build_state}" }
        match => { "message" => ".*checkout in %{NODE_NAME:nodes}.*" }
    }
    mutate {
        remove_field => ["message"]
    }

}
output {
   elasticsearch {
        hosts => "elasticsearch"
    }
}

The idea is: every file ends with either "Finished: SUCCESS" or "Finished: FAILURE", so I add every line before to a multiline event. Afterwards I match some informations like, id, cluster node... It all works fine for small files, so the configuration above works perfectly for me and files smaller than 16k lines, however when I increase the max_lines to 32k for example it does not match the pattern ".checkout in %{NODE_NAME:nodes}." anymore.
What happens there how can I fix that issue? Is it possible to filter the input like "just read lines matching ..." to decrease data amount?

Kind regards

Philip

Not in logstash. filebeat can do that with the include_lines option.

ok thanks, but do you know why my setup does not work for bigger files ?
Another idea was to combine the events afterwards, is there a way to merge multiple logs to a multiline log using Elasticsearch?

No, I do not.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.