Managing indices post Rollover

I know this question has been asked previously, but the answers provided earlier are outdated and do not apply to the current scenario.

We have recently moved to using the Rollover API to create new indices in order to get even shard size. However, this does not provide any mechanism to delete the older indices in an automated manner.

Earlier, we created daily indices with a timestamp (%Y.%m.%d) which would then be used by Curator to delete indices. But without a timestamp how do i tell curator to perform any action?

The age filter in Curator is not limited to using source: name. There is also source: creation_date and source: field_stats—which determines the oldest or youngest timestamp in the index, and can use either to determine whether an index is ready for further action.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks a lot! Yes, that is exactly what I wanted and it works.
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/client/curator/current/fe_source.html#_literal_field_stats_literal_based_ages_2

I didn't try this because i read that the field_stats API was deprecated.

Is Curator using range queries in the background to do this?

Yes. I preserved the name because it made sense to do so.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.