Mappings get messed up - Any way to enforce mappings

I create my indices with a nice tidy mapping where most fields are keywords but, over time, the mapping mutates into a monster of text fields with a ".keyword" property. How can this happen and is there any way to stop it.

I start with:

{
    "logs-prod3": {
        "mappings": {
            "properties": {
                "category": {"type": "keyword"},
                "contact": {"type": "keyword"},

Then I re-index my data to that index and it mutates into:

{
"logs-prod3": {
    "mappings": {
        "properties": {
            "category": {
                "type": "text",
                "fields": {
                    "keyword": {
                        "type": "keyword",
                        "ignore_above": 256
                    }
                }
            },
            "contact": {
                "type": "text",
                "fields": {
                    "keyword": {
                        "type": "keyword",
                        "ignore_above": 256
                    }
                }
            },

Why is this happening?

How can I enforce a mapping - preferably reject any data not defined by the mapping!

Create an index template with the settings and mappings you want to apply to all matching indices.

According to the docs "templates are only applied at index creation time". Since I create the indices myself with the correct mapping and they get corrupted later I don't see how this can help. Indeed ES Docs claim mappings cannot be changed which makes me wonder how this happens at all.

You can disable dynamic mappings, but that will cause documents with new fields to fail.

The second index has a different name so does not get the settings from the first. This is where an index template is useful.

The mismatch of names is just a typo (copy-paste error) posting there. I created the indices with the keyword mapping, verified this and then re-indexed.

Thanks for the tip about dynamic mappings - sounds like exactly what I want!

btw. if I disable dynamic mappings, then add data with new unmapped fields... these are not indexed but stored in source. Can I update the mapping on the index and reindex the new _source data within the same index? I assume I have to make a new index but just checking...

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.