Marking a timestamp field across a wildcard index name

(Alex Werner) #1

I've just started using ElasticSearch/Kibana, and I've run into a hopefully simple issue. The records I'm submitting (via JSON/REST) contain a field named "timestamp", which is a unix time integer. Apparently I had to inform Kibana that this was a timestamp field with a command like this:
PUT cxtesterrors
{
"mappings": {
"_doc": {
"properties": {
"timestamp": {
"type": "date",
"format": "epoch_second"
}
}
}
}
}

That worked fine. But after reading some more, I realized that I should have one index name for every day, so, for instance, cxtesterrors_2018_11_28. So I set the time format for cxtesterrors_2018_11_28 yesterday, and that worked fine, but now the date is 11/29 instead of 11/28, and I can't see any new records I'm submitting, presumably because the timestamp field for cxtesterrors_2018_11_29 isn't properly set up. I tried to do that PUT on a wildcard (cxtesterrors_*) and that didn't work. What's the solution? (I hope it's not having to set up a CRON job to do a PUT for every day's records forever...)

thanks!

(Lukas Olson) #2

This question is probably better handled in the Elasticsearch forums since it's regarding Elasticsearch mappings, but I'm pretty sure what you're looking for is here: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/dynamic-templates.html

(Alex Werner) #3

@lukas: looking at that page, it still seems like that requires doing a PUT to a specific index. Won't I just run into the same problem, where I set the dynamic template for cxtesterrors_2018_11_28 but that won't set it for cxtesterrors_2018_11_29?

(Another solution to my problem might be to submit my timestamps in some format which will always, automatically, be interpreted as a timestamp. Is that possible? Using ISO standard time strings?)

thanks again!

(Lukas Olson) #4

Sorry I sent you the wrong link, I meant to send this:

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/indices-templates.html

(Alex Werner) #5

Yes, that looks like what I need, thanks!