We have two clusters:-
Cluster A we have 5 new nodes running ES v7.17 (All data nodes out of which two are master)
Cluster A Contains no data what so ever it was meant to be a backup cluster but now they want it to be active
Cluster B 10 active nodes Running ES v7.9.3(All data nodes, 2 master).
Cluster B Contains data that can be backed up using snapshot repository.
Can someone suggest how to merge these two cluster because we were asked to.
Need to meet below two conditions:
- No data loss.
- Minimal downtime.
My idea was to go about it by doing the following
- backup cluster B using snapshot
- redirect all data sources to cluster A
- update all cluster B ES to 7.17
- Vote out nodes one by one from Cluster B
- Generate a new UUID on said node or delete the /data directory which contains the current UUID
- setup ES conf on node to join cluster A
- After all nodes are moved backup the snapshot to the new cluster
I did not proceed with my takeaway because of l:
- I just don't know if this will work and how to proceed with step number 5 to get rid of the old UUID
- can i backup the snapshot to the new cluster to retrieve old data
Thanks in advance