Metricbeat logs contain errors about nonexistent Redis properties

Metricbeat-5.0.0-alpha4
Redis v3.0.501 (Windows)

My log contains the following errors, repeated on every period:

2016-08-01T14:56:42-04:00 ERR Key does not exist in in data: gcc_version
2016-08-01T14:56:42-04:00 ERR Key does not exist in in data: config_file

These correspond to expected Redis INFO properties, but those particular properties do not exist in my (Windows) version of Redis. Metricbeat ends up sending this to its output:

"config_file": "",
"gcc_version": "",

I might suggest dropping the Redis module's "Key does not exist" log message to a WARN or INFO.

We already changed the behaviour here for the next version of metricbeat (5.0.0-alpha5). Non existing values will not be sent anymore: https://github.com/elastic/beats/pull/2034 On the non optional fields, an error will be logged. As these fields do not exist under Windows, it would probably make sense to make them optional. Why does config_file not exist?

A just question. When I run INFO manually on the same machine, I do see a config_file option.

Here is the DBG output from metricbeat and the INFO output from redis-cli in case you want to compare.

The change you describe sounds good, though I wonder why any fields would need to be non-optional for just this reason. In any case, thank you for the response -- I'll look forward to future versions!

I'm quite surprised that it shows up when you run it manually but not when run from metricbeat. I assume it is the same redis-server instance?

About the optional params: Missing values in a request can mean something is wrong. That is why we log an error if values are missing.

This topic was automatically closed after 21 days. New replies are no longer allowed.