Migration from OpenSearch2.5 to Elasticsearch8.8.1

Hello.
I'm thinking of migrating from AWS OpenSearch to Elastic Cloud.
First, I launched Elasticsearch 8.8.1 locally with docker and checked if the data could be migrated.

Data migration experimented with Snapshot & Restore.

As a result, as shown below, the version of OpenSearch is too large and an error occurs if there is no compatibility.

the snapshot was created with Elasticsearch version [36.26.78] which is higher than the version of this node [8.8.1]

As far as I can see from the error message, is it impossible to migrate data with Snapshot & Restore?

• to: Elasticsearch 8.8.1(docker local)
  • storage: AWS S3

OpenSearch/OpenDistro are AWS run products and differ from the original Elasticsearch and Kibana products that Elastic builds and maintains. You may need to contact them directly for further assistance.

(This is an automated response from your friendly Elastic bot. Please report this post if you have any suggestions or concerns :elasticheart: )

You can't restore a snapshot created in OpenSearch on a Elasticsearch cluster.

If you want to migrate the data from Opensearch to Elasticsearch you will need to use something like Logstash for example that will query your Opensearch cluster and index the data in your Elasticsearch cluster.

1 Like

Thank you for your response.
I understand that it is not possible to restore from OpenSearch.
I would like to explore the option of using Logstash or similar tools to migrate the data.

A remote reindex should work as well.

1 Like

After experimenting with Docker, I successfully achieved the desired results with remote reindexing!
I will try it next using Elastic Cloud.

Thank you!

Hi ,

I was also trying to migrate data using remote re-indexing from AWS Opensearch 1.3 to ElasticCloud 7.17 but facing below error

{
        "type" : "status_exception",
        "reason" : "body={\"error\":{\"root_cause\":[{\"type\":\"illegal_argument_exception\",\"reason\":\"No search type for [scan]\"}],\"type\":\"illegal_argument_exception\",\"reason\":\"No search type for [scan]\"},\"status\":400}"
 }

I am new to Elasticsearch so not much idea what could be wrong.
Any suggestions here what could be wrong and how i can achieve migration?

Welcome!

Could you describe exactly what command you are running and where?
Could you also open a new topic on this problem as the previous one have been solved. :slight_smile:

Hi @dadoonet

Thanks for your response.

I have opened a new topic with full description

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.