Mixing up field types: on field _ttl on elasticsearch 2.3

(Rajind Ruparathna) #1

I am using following in my mapping.
_ttl: {
"enabled": true,
"default": "15m"
}

I get failed to execute bulk item (index) index {[ultraesb][msg_statistics][AVXuOaBoYt4h9lsSojgC], source[{"totalMessageCount":7,"recordTime":"2016-07-15T16:33:12+0530","_ttl":"15m"}]}

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Mixing up field types: class org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.core.LongFieldMapper$LongFieldType != class org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.internal.TTLFieldMapper$TTLFieldType on field _ttl

All i could find is this github discussion but doesn't tell how to solve the issue.

Any help is highly appreciated.

(Mark Walkom) #2

What does the rest of the mapping look like?

ALlso, ttl is deprecated so you shouldn't use it, it'll be removed in v5.

(Rajind Ruparathna) #3
{
  "ultraesb" : {
    "mappings" : {
      "msg_statistics" : {
        "_timestamp" : {
          "enabled" : true
        },
        "_ttl" : {
          "enabled" : true,
          "default" : 900000
        },
        "dynamic_templates" : [ {
          "index_nonanalyzed" : {
            "mapping" : {
              "index" : "not_analyzed"
            },
            "match" : "*"
          }
        } ],
        "properties" : {
          "customFields" : {
            "type" : "nested"
          },
          "recordTime" : {
            "type" : "date",
            "format" : "yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ssZ"
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

Thank you for your reply. I know that ttl is deprecated but I would like to get ttl to work in 2.3 for now rather that upgrading to use 5.x

(Rajind Ruparathna) #4

Full stacktrace

MapperParsingException[failed to parse]; nested: IllegalStateException[Mixing up field types: class org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.core.LongFieldMapper$LongFieldType != class org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.internal.TTLFieldMapper$TTLFieldType on field _ttl];
    at org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.DocumentParser.parseDocument(DocumentParser.java:154)
    at org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.DocumentMapper.parse(DocumentMapper.java:309)
    at org.elasticsearch.index.shard.IndexShard.prepareCreate(IndexShard.java:529)
    at org.elasticsearch.index.shard.IndexShard.prepareCreateOnPrimary(IndexShard.java:506)
    at org.elasticsearch.action.index.TransportIndexAction.prepareIndexOperationOnPrimary(TransportIndexAction.java:215)
    at org.elasticsearch.action.index.TransportIndexAction.executeIndexRequestOnPrimary(TransportIndexAction.java:224)
    at org.elasticsearch.action.bulk.TransportShardBulkAction.shardIndexOperation(TransportShardBulkAction.java:326)
    at org.elasticsearch.action.bulk.TransportShardBulkAction.shardOperationOnPrimary(TransportShardBulkAction.java:119)
    at org.elasticsearch.action.bulk.TransportShardBulkAction.shardOperationOnPrimary(TransportShardBulkAction.java:68)
    at org.elasticsearch.action.support.replication.TransportReplicationAction$PrimaryPhase.doRun(TransportReplicationAction.java:639)
    at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.AbstractRunnable.run(AbstractRunnable.java:37)
    at org.elasticsearch.action.support.replication.TransportReplicationAction$PrimaryOperationTransportHandler.messageReceived(TransportReplicationAction.java:279)
    at org.elasticsearch.action.support.replication.TransportReplicationAction$PrimaryOperationTransportHandler.messageReceived(TransportReplicationAction.java:271)
    at org.elasticsearch.transport.RequestHandlerRegistry.processMessageReceived(RequestHandlerRegistry.java:75)
    at org.elasticsearch.transport.TransportService$4.doRun(TransportService.java:376)
    at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.AbstractRunnable.run(AbstractRunnable.java:37)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Mixing up field types: class org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.core.LongFieldMapper$LongFieldType != class org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.internal.TTLFieldMapper$TTLFieldType on field _ttl
    at org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.FieldMapper.updateFieldType(FieldMapper.java:397)
    at org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.FieldMapper.updateFieldType(FieldMapper.java:53)
    at org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.DocumentParser.parseDynamicValue(DocumentParser.java:622)
    at org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.DocumentParser.parseValue(DocumentParser.java:442)
    at org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.DocumentParser.parseObject(DocumentParser.java:262)
    at org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.DocumentParser.parseDocument(DocumentParser.java:122)
    ... 18 more

(Mark Walkom) #5

Is that the entire mapping for the index?

_ttl mixing up field types issue
(Rajind Ruparathna) #6

yes. Actually i tried without setting any default ttl value as you can see in the mapping. Still i get the same error though. I tried give ttl as a long value(900000L) as a string (like "900000" and "15m") too. Still no luck.

(Jeff Baker) #7

I am facing the same issue in 2.3; the only way I have successfully used TTL is by setting a default TTL, but any attempt to create a record with a specific TTL in the JSON, both with and without extensions like "ms", results in the "Mixing up field types: class org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.core.LongFieldMapper$LongFieldType != class org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.internal.TTLFieldMapper$TTLFieldType on field _ttl" error.

(Rajind Ruparathna) #8

I also ended up using the default _ttl. Now I have moved to 5.1.1 which does not have the ttl support but has the index roll over support. https://www.elastic.co/blog/managing-time-based-indices-efficiently

You might want to also consider these product end dates for selecting a version. https://www.elastic.co/support/eol

If you want to stick to 2.x, perhaps you could try a slightly newer version like 2.4.1. https://www.elastic.co/downloads/past-releases/elasticsearch-2-4-1

(system) #9