Mssql.performance ignores some metrics (metricbeat)

Hi.
When im trying to use metricbeat to capture my SQL Server performance some metrics that should be included are completly ignored. this is my mssql.yml configuration:

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-24 at 19.23.51

I should recieve all performance metrics but im just recieving these ones

No transaction metrics or buffer cache ratio for example therefore i got empty dashboards in my kibana visualization. there isnt any error so i dont know what is exactly the problem. thanks for your time and hope you can help me.

Hi!

What version of Metricbeat you are running? I'm looking into latest version's docs and I don't see transaction_log metricset :thinking: .

C.

Hi , im using metricbeat 7.12 (latest)
Is MSSQL (SQL Server) not MySQL
In the docs if you go to the MSSQL module for the implementation you can see the next example

ere is the dock for the mssql implementation in metricbeat 7.12 : MSSQL module | Metricbeat Reference [7.12] | Elastic

Gocha @Francisco_Gomez1 , thanks for making it clear!

Do you think it could be a compatibility issue? What is the version of the targeted SQL server?

@Mario_Castro does this ring any bells to you?

Is 2012, MSSQL only works for 2017 and beyond?

Well, the module is only tested and develop with v2017 in mind, which means that some things may work in older versions but not all of them.

Most of metrics in performance metricset comes from sys.dm_os_performance_counters and maybe they had a different name in 2012 than 2017.

For example the buffer cache hit ratio is a query something like SELECT * FROM sys.dm_os_performance_counters WHERE counter_name = 'Buffer cache hit ratio' AND object_name = 'SQLServer:Buffer Manager' so if the counter_name or the object_name is different in v2012, that metric will be omitted. Could that be the case? Could you check in your DB?

If that's the case, it's by design but it doesn't mean that you cannot open an Enhancement Request on Beats repo so that maybe someone can include support for v2012.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.