Multiple configs in /etc/filebeat/*.yml

Greetings all,

I'm trying to use multiple config files located in /etc/filebeat. The default config is stored as filebeat.yml, with additional configs stored as $service.yml. I've verified that all the configs are working and functional by using the "-c config.yml -e -d "*"" switches against each .yml. When starting filebeat, only one prospector and accompanying paths from filebeat.yml are active. I'm using filebeat version 5.0.0-rc1.

I'm trying to use the same approach with packetbeat and metricbeat, whereby system defaults are located in *beat.yml, and additional services are defined in $service.yml via configuration management (ansible).

Any help/suggestions would be most welcome!

-Jacques

What is your exact command that you use to start filebeat etc.?

Hi @ruflin,

"/usr/share/filebeat/bin/filebeat -c /etc/filebeat/filebeat.yml -path.home /usr/share/filebeat -path.config /etc/filebeat -path.data /var/lib/filebeat -path.logs /var/log/filebeat"

I've tried pointing -path.config to another location other than /etc/filebeat as well.

It's launched via systemctl, and I've tried manually on the command line as well...

I think you are mixing here two things:

Let me know if the above helps.

This does help indeed, thanks! The docs that I referenced previously did not mention the config_dir option, and eluded to the -path.config switch instead.

Regarding the other beats, how does one take a modular approach with the configs?

For the other beats currently the best approach is using the chaining of config files with -c. Or as you alreasy use ansible it should be possible to use ansible to generate one big config file.

What docs were you referencing to initially where the config_dir was not mentioned?

This topic was automatically closed after 21 days. New replies are no longer allowed.