N shards out of N failed

Hi,

I'm currently running in a strange issue with 2 newly created indices. After, I've created the indices and imported all the visualizations and dashboards, everything works well for about 10hrs until something really strange happens. All the raw logs from the beat can be seen as published from the Discover tab, however, when I traverse through the newly created dashboard I'm having a number of popups saying "5 shards out of 10 failed".

I also reviewed the status of the shards and the indices and all looks green. In addition, I've tried to get some information using the HAR online tool for more details, however this isn't illustrating any errors.

Any thoughts how such issue can be resolved?

Thanks,

Chris

It might be worth asking this on the Kibana forum as I don't know exactly what "5 shards out of 10 failed" means in terms of Elasticsearch. I would also look to the Elasticsearch server logs at around the time of the message and see if there's anything notable in there.

Thanks @DavidTurner, will do.

Got hold of the error using the HAR Google online-tool. The error is the following:

"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"Fielddata is disabled on text fields by default. Set fielddata=true on [system.process.cmdline] in order to load fielddata in memory by uninverting the inverted index. Note that this can however use significant memory. Alternatively use a keyword field instead."

For anyone reading this, message the HAR is is extremely useful in pinpointing which issues with Kibana talking to Elasticsearch.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.