Nested object visualization

Hello,

Is it possible to select a nested object to visualize in Kibana ? I want to select the first field in this nested object.
Here is my filter :

grok :

u'rules': \[(?<[@metadata][rules]>[^\]]+)\]

ruby :

rules = event.get('[@metadata][rules]')
		if rules
			rule = rules.scan(/{u'type': u'([^']+)', u'id': ([0-9]+)}/)
			event.set('rule', rule)
		end

Index mapped by elasticsearch :

"rule": {
        "type": "text",
        "fields": {
          "keyword": {
            "type": "keyword",
            "ignore_above": 256
          }
        }
      }, 

In the visualization, when I select rule.keyword, I'm not able to select which field I want :

Do I have to add something in JSON input in the advanced settings of the visualization ?

I don't think what you are describing is a "Nested object", what you have is a dual mapping. If you want to select specific terms, you can either:

• Use the Terms aggregation and specify specific Include/Exclude values in the additional options menu for that aggregation
  • Use a Filters aggregation and specify a query that filters only the documents you want to match.

If you are actually intending to create a nested object mapping, your configuration is not correct: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/nested.html (but if you are trying to do this, Kibana does not currently supported that kind of mapping)

Hello wylie,

Sorry for the delay, and thank you for your answer.
My results are like this in discovery when I click on rules :
["RULE","888821"]
["OTHER_RULE","888822"]

So I think you're right, it's a dual mapping.
But how can I tell to kibana when I want to make my visualization, to do not use the first field (here "RULE" "OTHER_RULE" etc) ?

Thank you

You might be able to construct a scripted field to access the value you want using painless scripting. I'm not sure I can provide an exact script for you to try, but that approach would give you more control over the value.

Also, it looks like this is an array field, I would highly recommend reading the limitations Elasticsearch has for that kind of data: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/array.html

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.