Network Topology using Graph

Hello all,

I have indices that contain .pcap data (imported using tshark and elasticsearch BULK API). I would like to visualise this packet capture as a network topology using graph.

I am envisaging that this would go something along these lines:

• Vertices = all the host_names (or ip_src) in a given capture duration
  • Connections = the sum of traffic from one host to another

Unfortunately it seems a bit trickier to do this than I first imagined. As in each packet there is only "ip_src" and "ip_dst" information, it is hard to display a group of "Vertices" by their "ip_src" tags but then link them based on the "ip_dst"==each Vertice.

I have managed to get as far as creating a double-up of information, by listing both the source and destination IP's as Vertices and then connecting them from there... but this isn't quite what I want as it "splits" the information (one group may have all of the traffic from "Host_A" to other hosts, which is then repeated for each host with "Host_A" being the receiver of network traffic).

Has anyone had a similar problem and would be able to point me towards the right path? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Hi @l4m4l,

a common way around this is to ingest both source and destination ip into a third field ip and then using this field to create the Graph instead of your two splitted fields. This is called a "role-free" field. You can do this on ingestion time by using copy_to in your mapping: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/copy-to.html

Hi @flash1293,

Thank-you very much, this appears to be the answer that I'm looking for! Turns out tshark already outputs this field under the name "layers.ip.ip_ip_addr" (which contains ip_src, ip_dst).

By graphing the "top terms" however, this seems to disregard two packets (out of a total of 43) between two of my hosts. I know that it still registers 43 in total, because I can see that in the total when I select the "link summary". Is there a way to increase the resolution of the links, so that they will be visible even if there is only 1 document?

Thanks

You can set the "Certainty" setting to 1 by clicking the "Settings" button in the top menu:

To make sure all connections are shown, select all nodes and click the "link" button a few times - this should fill in missing connections if there are some:
Screenshot 2020-02-27 at 10.10.55

Hi @flash1293, thanks - I was changing the certainty but was missing the "link" button step.

Thanks very much for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.