New download service

In light of Github deprecating their downloads feature (our primary
means of distributing ES releases), we have implemented our own
solution. More details here:

Let us know if you have any issues. Thanks!

-Drew

--

Thanks; two questions:

  • Do you really need to remove the files from Github by tomorrow?

  • Will I need a new version of elasticsearch for plugin -install to work?

On Monday, December 17, 2012 1:04:08 PM UTC-8, Drew Raines wrote:

In light of Github deprecating their downloads feature (our primary
means of distributing ES releases), we have implemented our own
solution. More details here:

http://www.elasticsearch.org/blog/2012/12/17/new-download-service.html

Let us know if you have any issues. Thanks!

-Drew

--

Eric Jain wrote:

Thanks; two questions:

  • Do you really need to remove the files from Github by tomorrow?

Unfortunately, as you've seen by now, yes.

  • Will I need a new version of elasticsearch for plugin -install to work?

This is addressed by #2507. Look for it in 0.20.2.

-Drew

--

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Drew Raines aaraines@gmail.com wrote:

Eric Jain wrote:

Thanks; two questions:

  • Do you really need to remove the files from Github by tomorrow?

Unfortunately, as you've seen by now, yes.

That's not entirely true. Downloads will still be available for at least
another two months. Uploads have been disabled, so a refactoring needed to
be made quickly, but there was no urgent reason to remove the download
content on Github.

  • Will I need a new version of elasticsearch for plugin -install to
    work?

This is addressed by #2507. Look for it in 0.20.2.

https://github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/issues/2507

That does not really address Eric's issue. Upgrading ElasticSearch to
simply fix the the plugin issue is an overkill. One can download the latest
version and use the new jar along with a customized plugin script to
continue using the previous version of ElasticSearch. Or you can compile
the new PluginManager.java and place it in the classpath (with higher
precedence) of the plugin script.

--
Ivan

--

On Dec 27, 2012, at 6:06 PM, Ivan Brusic ivan@brusic.com wrote:

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Drew Raines aaraines@gmail.com wrote:
Eric Jain wrote:

Thanks; two questions:

  • Do you really need to remove the files from Github by tomorrow?

Unfortunately, as you've seen by now, yes.

That's not entirely true. Downloads will still be available for at least another two months. Uploads have been disabled, so a refactoring needed to be made quickly, but there was no urgent reason to remove the download content on Github.

They were available, but we noticed that they started to get flaky. We pulled the plug after a grace period of a week still having them on github. Hopefully it does not require major changes on peoples infrastructure. We went and updated all the places we know about that link to github on external projects, if you know of some, point us there and we will happily fix it and submit pull requests.

  • Will I need a new version of elasticsearch for plugin -install to work?

This is addressed by #2507. Look for it in 0.20.2.

https://github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/issues/2507

That does not really address Eric's issue. Upgrading ElasticSearch to simply fix the the plugin issue is an overkill. One can download the latest version and use the new jar along with a customized plugin script to continue using the previous version of ElasticSearch. Or you can compile the new PluginManager.java and place it in the classpath (with higher precedence) of the plugin script.

You can still install plugins using "olders" installation of elasticsearch. We didn't remove the plugins there. The new plugins download should work better all around, since it now also support downloading the plugin from maven.

--
Ivan

--

--

Great to see you posting again!

Seems like the new PluginManager supports for a few new methods. Can
someone document with the various options are in terms of external plugins?
I wrote a couple of new ones, and I am looking for a place to share them.

Cheers,

Ivan

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM, kimchy@gmail.com wrote:

You can still install plugins using "olders" installation of
elasticsearch. We didn't remove the plugins there. The new plugins download
should work better all around, since it now also support downloading the
plugin from maven.

--